SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gigi_f

New person here, ? re: tulips, daffodils

gigi-f
17 years ago

Hi all. I'm Gigi, also on the Roses forum and a couple others. I live in North Orange County (city of Cypress). I hope no one minds my jumping in so quick here, but hi all! I recognize a few names from other forums.

I have had a black thumb my whole life, my mom and my sister can both plant pretty rocks and end up with beautiful, flowering trees. Up until recently, I killed anything I tried to grow. So, I did tons of research and managed to keep a gift rose bush alive until I fell in love. Now, I have 42 roses and assorted other plants that are ACTUALLY GROWING and doing well. I seem to be mostly into flowers for cutting and good-smelling herbs. I may have revived my black thumb. But I need some help! And I think I may have jumped off the wrong cliff!

I absolutely LOVE tulips and daffodils (among others). In my research, I have found that it is possible to get these to grow here. Too bad about the peonys, though.

So my questions are:

1. Tulips: refrigerate 6-8 weeks, plant in well draining soil, I'm thinking around Christmas, to give them chance to grow before it gets too hot. Do they go in full sun or is 3-4 hours a day better?

2. Daffodils: Do I refrigerate? Do they go in full sun or is 3-4 hours a day better?

Comments (8)