SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
outsiders71

First timer having problems growing VFT's

outsiders71
18 years ago

Hello,

I'm not sure exactly what went wrong. I bought a few CP's from a garden center. I got 3 VFT's and 1 butterwort. They were all in good condition with a lot of traps. The butterwort had what appeared to be a sticky substance on it.

Anyways I was reading on the net how to care for them. I'm not sure if I came across the wrong info or I followed it wrong but the end result is they died.

What I did was I bought a 10 gallon aquarium. Filled the bottom with an inch of little natural rocks I found at a pet store. Then I put peat moss on top of that about another inch or two. I took the plants out of their pot/dome and replanted them with their pot soil into the aquarium. I bought a folding glass cover for the top.

At first they were just placed in my room by the window. The tank would get condensation on the sides and the top, which meant it was humid in there. It started warming up here in OH, so I started placing them outside in the sun. They seemed fine. At night time I would move the aquarium in the garage and cover it with a blanket to keep it warm.

I watered it with Aquafina, it's a bottled water that is purified to just water (no chlorine etc). I made sure that it was kept moist. I wasn't sure how much was too much water, so I tried experimenting by having it soaked really good to making sure it was just moist.

As for lighting outside, I took the top off and just left it out in the sun for a little bit. I figured that with the top on it would fry the plants. However with the top off I noticed that there was no condensation going on and it wasn't too humid inside. I don't understand this because Cleveland, OH is a pretty humid place.

Anyways the end result was the plants all died back. First the butterwort turned brown and died. It disappeared. Then the VFT's started dying back. After a few days or so I noticed a new butterwort had started to grow a few inches from where the other one was. Eventually all the VFT's turned brown and died. The butterwort is still in there, has 3 or 4 small leaves, and they aren't sticky at all. I was going through the terranium today, I pulled out the remainders and only one VFT had some kind of bulb left. All the others just had long stringy brown/black roots. I also noticed the sphragnum (sp?) moss turned brown towards the time they started dying. When I first got the plants the moss it was in was green. Now it's brown.

I'd really like to start growing these fun plants but it seems like I'm not caring for them correctly. I was hoping someone on here with the knowledge could help explain what I did wrong or what I could try differently.

Thanks!

Comments (16)

Sponsored