SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nefermery

Venus Fly Trap Flower - help!

Nefermery
12 years ago

Hey there, I'm a new member and I have a Venus fly trap living at home for about a month now. This seemed like a good place to get some answers about Venus Flytrap care.

My mom, who takes care of the plant, started noticing that a flower stalk was starting to grow up from the middle of the plant. I've read that having flowers can cause the plant to become sluggish and possibly die, but she would like to have the flowers grow anyway.

I'm just wondering if there are any tips out there for helping to keep a Venus fly trap alive after it has flowered (most Google results say either to cut the stalk or grow seeds, which isn't what I'm looking for. The search didn't bring up much helpful tips, either :/).

If it helps, the plant is growing inside an apartment, but it's nearby a window where it gets a good amount of sunlight during mid-to-late afternoon. This is our first Venus Fly Trap, but not our first plant.

P.S. We've been feeding the plant live bedbugs (which have been crawling from our neighbors apartment into ours) and I'm wondering if that's a good or bad thing.

Comments (20)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional