SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dogridge

WANTED: Special Trades- Raleigh Fall Swap 2011

dogridge
12 years ago

Hi all! I'm looking forward to the swap.

Want:

Bronze Fennel

Guara

Asters

Crocosmia

Rosemary

Joe Pye Weed

Beauty Berry

Dianthus

Salvia (blues)

Lenten Rose

nepeta

Have:

wire plant (Muehlenbeckia complexa)

Japanese roof iris (Iris tectorum) pale purple

japanese Iris 'Mt fujiyama"

Shasta daisy

Orange ginger (5' tall)

Variegated Solomon's seal

Hosta 'August Moon'

Hosta 'Sum and Substance'

Variegated Hosta (not sure which variety- grows about 12" tall and 18"wide. Very hardy)

Ajuga "Caitlin's Giant'

Ostrich fern

Canterbury Bells (taller pink variety)

Creeping Jenny

Garlic Chives

Comments (50)

• trianglejohn
    12 years ago

Is there a color of Dianthus you're looking for? I have a bright neon red one that I grew from seed. It was from a mix so doesn't have a name.

• dogridge
    Original Author
    12 years ago

If it is more of a pinkish red, that would be great! If it is more on the orange-y red side, I'll pass. I want something to go with my tulip mix.

http://www.vanengelen.com/catview.cgi?_fn=Item&_recordnum=5980&_category=Tulips:SingleLate

Thanks!

• Related Discussions

WANTED: Continued 2:Special Trades for Raleigh Swap

Q

Comments (150)
    Arwen, I would take an allium, if you have an extra available. karen__w, I will gladly take a begonia or two :-) tamelask(Tam): I would love rose cuttings of: veilchenblau, osette Delizy and fantin latour, if available. ferndottar(Dawn), I would try a Jack in the Pulpit, if still available. Brenda, since you said you had plenty, I'd gladly take one of the Japanese Apricot trees thripmaster, I would not mind at all if you were able to reserve a small cup of the Veronica spicata 'Blue Charm' (Spiked Speedwell)following for me, if still available. Bmaxx, would love some glads... Ais, I just read that you wanted a sourwood to attrack birds - don't have that, but I have Ratibida pinnata (prairie coneflower) that birds love; do you want me to bring you one? Thanks everyone, Jean (jnhidden)
    ...See More

WANTED: Special Trades for Sep 9 Raleigh Swap

Q

Comments (150)
    I'm brand new to the swap and can't wait! I was out of town for the Spring swap and have been waiting for the Fall date. I've got to get busy potting up divisions. Brenda, I'd love some Black Cohosh and Bloodroot if anything below interests you. Karen or Alicia if you have any 'Hot Lips' to spare I'm interested and any shorter salvia varieties that you might have. I'm also in need of: Purple coneflower since the voles got mine last year. Brunnera - especially the silver varieties Gaura Siskiyou (pink) Tiarella Astilbe Peach Blossom Agapanthus Variegated Hakone Grass Forget-me-not (myosotis) Hellebores (I must be the only gardener without any) I have to offer: Aster Snowflurry Dogwood seedlings Tree seedlings - while oak, maple, tulip poplar Chinese Indigo (Indigofera kirilowii) Native Heucherra seedlings - green variety that tolerates sun or shade and is pretty much indestructable Wild ginger (it's native - I don't know the strain) Native ferns (sorry, don't know the strains but I can email you photos if interested) Daylilies 'Paper Butterfly' and 'Stargazer' Epimedium Rubrum Purple Creeping Thyme Light Purple Phlox (I don't know the variety) and David Japanese Iris 'Joy Peters' Amsomia Blue Star Iris Cristata (native) Veronica Georgia Blue Geranium Cranesbill 'Blood Red' (pink/purple flower) Chrysanthemum White Bomb
    ...See More

HAVE: Raleigh Fall Swap 2011

Q

Comments (7)
    I was always told that the older varieties needed a pollinator and the 'Mother Vine' would certainly fit that category but I can't find any resource that answers the question. I wouldn't worry about it - there are so many wild and cultivated grapes around that there isn't much need to own your own pollinator... I think
    ...See More

wanted: raleigh fall plant swap 2011

Q

Comments (2)
    I was just looking at the calendar and trying to figure out a Saturday. There are fun garden events the last two weekends of Sept so I am now looking at early Oct, maybe even October first. I don't think anyone in the normal crowd is busy with the fair this year... and hopefully the weather will have cooled down a bit by then. I'll go talk to the park people to see which day is available.
    ...See More
  • trianglejohn
    12 years ago

Well this one is neon scarlet red. Insanely vivid. Doesn't mix well with anything in my yard (which is why I thinking of digging it up). The only good thing about it is that it is reliably hardy and blooms off and on throughout the summer.

There are plenty of softer tones in Dianthus that will blend perfectly with those tulips.

• tamelask
    12 years ago

dogridge, i'd love to swap for some ostrich fern and 'sum and substance'. I have gaura, aster (aromatic, it's lavendar and native but fairly invasive), helleborus x/orientalis (not sure if you want niger- that, i don't have), 2 kinds of nepeta, and a couple different blue salvias. I have 'black and blue' s. guaranitica, bog sage- s. uliginosa, which is invasive in moist soil but fine in dryish clay. Let me know what all you'd be interested in.

• Judy Brown
    12 years ago

Hey Dogridge, I'll swap you a Rosemary for some Japanese roof Irises. Also, I have lots of Blackberry lillies up for swap if anyone is interested.

• dogridge
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Tamelask-
    Thanks for the offer! I'm interested in one of each. lol I'd be most interested in the helebore and bog sage, if I had to choose a couple.
    I have a pretty big clump of both the fern and the hosta, so if you want a double scoop of each, I'd also love the aster and nepeta. Do you have 'Walker's Low'? I'm looking for a big one.

JD- I'd love your rosemary. I'll pot up some roof iris for you. Thanks!

• woodsworm
    12 years ago

Dogridge, I can let you have lots of crocosmia, and I have some very pretty ones, two varieties both bright orange-red. But be warned, they need confinement or they will crowd out everything else.

I would love to have some variegated Solomon's Seal and Canterbury bells. Can't wait.

• tamelask
    12 years ago

Dogridge- yes, i'd love to double dip! :). I do have walker's low, so i'll be happy to get you some of that one. It gets maybe 18"-2' high, and makes a much larger, 3' clump than my other- a seed started smaller variety. The hellebore will be a 2 yr seedling, if i can find one. I find they don't take kindly to transplanting too much larger than that. Bog sage won't look like much since i'll need to cut the top most of the way back so it doesn't flop and break and to give the roots time to settle in (they are very tall). I'm happy to grab some black & blue while i'm at it- same deal- it'll look bad, but it should do really well. I'll probably have to cut back the aster, too, since it's tall and bushy at this point.

• Judy Brown
    12 years ago

Hey Tammy, If you have any extra Walker's Low, I'd like to get some from you. Please check my trade list and see what I have, that I can trade you for it. Thanks.

• dogridge
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Woodsworm- thanks! I'll take one of each and bring you some SS and Belles. Be careful about the Canterbury Bells. They spread around by seed with a vengence. Espcially in the rich, slightly moist soil I have them in. The ones in dappled/part shade seem to do better than the ones in full sun. Could be the better soil in the shadier spot, too.

Tammy- sounds good!

• Judy Brown
    12 years ago

Dogridge - I'd love to get an August Moon Hosta from you. Check out my trade list and see if there is anything that you want. I also have an abundance of Toad lilies.

• woodsworm
    12 years ago

Dogridge: you want some lenten roses too? I have lots of babies and two-year olds. They have large white blooms, unless some have mixed with the lavendar sorts.

• Judy Brown
    12 years ago

Woodsworm: Can I swap you some White Campanulas (white with burgundy specs) for some white lenten roses?

Tamelask - Do you still have banana mint? If so, I'd like to get some from you. Check my trade list and see what you want.

I also have orange trumphet vine, if anyone is interested. I'm finding out after two years - It'll take over.

• tamelask
    12 years ago

Judy, yes, i still have the banana mint and would be happy to share. And i can bring you the walker's low, too. I may need to do cuttings rather than divisions unless it's spread a lot this year. last yr, it was compact at the base and spread along the ground to look big. Hope i can take a break from work soon and ck. I'll ck your list and let you know what i'm drooling over.

• tamelask
    12 years ago

ok, Judy, looked thru your list and i'd be interested in your black scallop ajuga, the fairy bells or more archangel (i have a little but it hasn't spread much). If you see anything else you want from me, then all 3. :)

• Judy Brown
    12 years ago

Hey Tammy, I'll bring you some black scallop ajuga and some archangel. My fairy bells are almost completely gone. But if I find a spare one or two, I'll just throw it in as a bonus.

• tamelask
    12 years ago

no, no- if they are almost gone, please don't dig any! The archangel and ajuga will be just fine. Thanks.

• woodsworm
    12 years ago

jdbheartease:
    Oh yeah, bring on the campanulas-for-lenten roses (white).

• Judy Brown
    12 years ago

woodsworm, I'll get your campanula potted up!!! Thanks!

• trianglegardener
    12 years ago

Hoping for great weather.

Have:
    Hardy orange (Poncirus trifoliate) - 6-8" seedlings
    Redbud (Cercis canadensis) - 18" seedlings
    Korean rock fern (Polystichum tsus-sinense)
    Hardy red gloxinia (Sinningia sellovii)

Want:
    Hosta - large leaf, variegated named varieties
    Bletilla
    Cast iron plant - variegated or spotted leaves
    Spider lily - Lycoris radiata/squamigera
    Other shade perennials I don't have

• MagickMare
    12 years ago

Hello everyone :) I'm so glad we've finally gotten a break from the heat! Here's my lists:

Have:
    Mexican Petunias
    Bengal Cannas
    Basjoo Bananas
    Salvia 'Black and Blue'
    Hot Pink Crepe Myrtles ("offshoots" in bloom)
    Variegated Solomon's Seal

Want:
    Hosta Sum & Substance
    Pomegranate
    Artemisia - Oriental Limelight
    Variegated Purple Toad Lily
    Orange Azalea

• woodsworm
    12 years ago

jdbheartease: I'd love to have some Persian carpet. I have cuttings (easy rooters) of Streptocarpus "Cape Primrose" and Episcia "Flame Violet". Also I have white hellebore plants either 1 or 2 years old. They look like 1 year, but they have big roots. Need any?

• Ralph Whisnant
    12 years ago

I have the following to trade at next Saturday's Raleigh plant swap.The following are generally hardy and should be ok in the ground overwinter.
    Salvia Black and Blue
    Rehmania (Chinese Foxglove)
    Hibiscus Texas Star (H. coccineus)
    Hardy Begonia w/ pink flowers
    Tinatia pringlii - Spotted Wandering Jew
    Hollyhocks 'Summer Carnival' One year old plants - have not yet bloomed. For special trades
    Persimmon seedlings
    Caryopteris 'Snow Fairy'
    Caryopteris seedlings of 'Worcester Gold'
    The following are not hardy outdoors and will need to be kept in their pots in a protected are overwinter.
    Asclepias currasavica - A favorite of Monarch butterflies. I do not have any caterpillars yet, but by next weekend?
    Salvia 'Wendy's Wish' New hybrid from Australia
    Lemon Verbena - i grow this for the fabulous lemon scent
    Plectranthus Mona lavender, Cuban Oregano, ciliatus, argentatus
    Angelonia 'Purple Stripe'
    Duranta 'Golden Edge'
    Begonia taipeiensis - For special trades
    I am always interested in new Salvias or older ones that I do not have. Also, if you have an especially pretty or unusual Sun Coleus, I would be interested in plants or cuttings.

• countrygirlsc, Upstate SC
    12 years ago

Ralph, it looks like we are coming to the swap this year. I was going to bring a couple extra Purple Stripes plus some various Coleus if nothing goes wrong between now and next Friday. I am not sure what else I may have by then.

• jbarutis
    12 years ago

I have to trade:
    Lemongrass
    Creeping thyme
    White crepe myrtle tree

Dogridge, I would be interested in some of your orange ginger.

Looking forward to seeing everyone!
    Jeri

• Ralph Whisnant
    12 years ago

Jeri, I would like to trade for some of your Lemon Grass if I have anything you would like. If you do not see what you are looking for in my list above, let me know as I have lots of other plants in limited supply.
    Bob, are you still interested in my perennial Impatiens? If so I can bring you omeiana and arguta for sure. I have not seen my 'Sichuan Gold' in a while.
    Karen W, I still have Begonia taipeiensis for you if you are coming. RalphW

• Judy Brown
    12 years ago

Hey Ralph, Can I swap something from my list for one of your Rehmania - Chinese Foxglove? I do have 1 Arborvitae Fern, if your interested. Judy

• jbarutis
    12 years ago

Ralph, I've got a lemongrass with your name on it. Do you still have Alpinia zerumbet (Shell Ginger) 'Variegata'?

• karen__w z7 NC
    12 years ago

Ralph, I have to work that weekend so I'll have to take another rain check. At some point we're going to have to get together and do some trading, though -- either that or I've got to quit compulsively starting seeds. Save room for a Colocasia gigantea. Based on what's germinating now they're going to run me out of (green)house and home in about two years. Ironically the seeds were really, really tiny.

• anna_8nc
    12 years ago

Dogridge,
    I can bring any quanity of the native beauty berry seeds. It will grow from seeds like a weed.
    Anna

• tophersmith
    12 years ago

I have 2 purple rob locust trees, if anyone is interested. Once is 3 foot tall the other is 2o inches. They are in containers otherwiase they would have been huge. You all know what else I have so send me a request if you need anything else. Sorry for the late notice, it's been crazy

• Ralph Whisnant
    12 years ago

Jeri. my Alpinia is in a large pot. I will separate and pot up a piece for you. Do you eat Gongura (Hibiscus leaves)? I have several H. sabdariffa in gallon pots if you would like some.

12 years ago

I have been migrating to perennials, but there are a few annuals that I have every year. Purple Stripe Angelonia is one and I may have a couple of large plants to bring.

I will be bringing several of this coleus, Big Red Judy. She loves full sun, stays dark burgundy, and bushy. It looks wonderful in a container with variegated plants. This picture was taken in July and now it is about 3 feet tall and about as big around - it's twice as big as the variegated one.

{{gwi:552369}}

I bought this no-name coleus at Home Depot to put in the container with a Japanese Maple as a filler. It is now as tall as the maple and is also in full sun. I will have two or three of these.
    {{gwi:552371}}

{{gwi:552373}}

I also plan on bringing:
    1 Honeycomb buddelia that desperately needs repotting
    1 Fortune's Five Color Tea rose, small but healthy rooted cutting, will bloom constantly
    1 Trailing Plum coleus
    2 Lime green coleus, may be same variety or could be different, thought one was Wizard Pineapple but now I'm not sure
    1 Splish Splsh coleus - the variegated one in the picture with Big Red Judy
    1 other no-name burgundy and lime green coleus, no label in the pot when I bought it, don't know how it does outside because I have been enjoying it inside

Does anyone need nursery pots? I have probably 20 or 30 extra 2 gallons. I have a network that saves me all their pots to recycle/reuse.

I prefer perennials and love variegated plants, have only full sun, otherwise I have a short wish list:

I had two different variegated sedums that did not come back this year, they were very similar - one may have been Mediovariegatum, would love to have another

Also Red Hot Pokers, I was redoing a garden and lost my little plant. Would love another as have memories of these from my childhood

12 years ago

Make that 3 gallon pots instead of 2 gallon. I may have some one gallon extras too if anyone needs them.

• tophersmith
    12 years ago

I also have turks cap lily if anyone is looking along with various different sun coleus.

• dogridge
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry I haven't been here in a while.

woodsworm- I have you down for variegated solomon's seal and canterbury bells for crocosmia and lenten rose

jbarutis- I have you down for an orange ginger

anna8nc- I'd love your Beauty berry seeds.

jdbheartease- I have Jap roof iris and hosta 'Aug moon' for rosemary and lenten rose

Tamelask- Ostrich fern and S and S hosta for nepeta, salvia, bog sage, aster and helebore

Looking forward to the swap!

• anna_8nc
    12 years ago

Dogridge,
    Would you have any more orange ginger?
    I'll bring a few packets of beauty berry seeds for anyone who would like some.
    Anna

• dogridge
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Anna-

I'll bring a ginger for you.

• tamelask
    12 years ago

Country girl-
    I'd love some of the trailing plum coleus. i'm hoping it's 'meandering linda'- it's one of my favorites. I have some sedum lineolarum- it's a small, needley looking one with white edges.

12 years ago

tamelask, I looked it up and low and behold it is AKA meandering Linda! I didn't know that! how big does the sedum get? Does it have another name?

• trianglegardener
    12 years ago

Ralph - the perennial impatiens would be great, whatever you can find. I'll put aside some ferns - let me know if you are interested in anything else.
    Woodsworm - I'll bring some different ferns to share at home.

• Judy Brown
    12 years ago

Hey Dogridge, I saw the swap for the August Moon Hosta. Unfortunately, I don't have any lenten rose up for swapping, but I do have a Helleborus foetidus, also known as stinking hellebore. Please don't let that nickname scare you off. It only smells if you rub the leaves. It's a really cool hellebores. Let me know if you want to swap for one of those.

• dogridge
    Original Author
    12 years ago

jdb- That would be awesome! I love H. foetidus. I'll bring the hosta for you.

• Judy Brown
    12 years ago

Dogridge - I've got the H. Foetidus potted up for you. I'll also bring the rosemary.

• Judy Brown
    12 years ago

Woodsworm I just saw your request for the persian carpet. Yes, we can do a swap. I've got you a pot potted up. I would like either the Streptocarpus "Cape Primrose" or the Episcia "Flame Violet", whichever you have an extra of. See you tomorrow!!

• brenda_near_eno
    12 years ago

Still can't decide whether to come with my 2 paltry deer-eaten trays of plants. The deer wiped me out this summer. Even ate some of the salvias. The toad lilies are just deer-eaten stalks with blooms now on the very tops, where the vermin can't reach. If I don't come, "hi" to everyone!! If I do come, no making fun of my plants, ok?

• trianglejohn
    12 years ago

Brenda - please try to make it. I won't allow anyone to comment on your offerings. I need my Brenda fix for the year. By the way, the deer have started to damage the 7.5 foot tall net fence I installed. So far they haven't done anything inside the garden but I'm spending way too much time patching the fence. This winter I'm putting up wire and going all the way to 8 feet!!!

• tamelask
    12 years ago

please come, brenda! No making fun- we all just wanna see you! I won't be bringing much, either. Whatever i got potted up early on, since i've been way too busy and am digging the last of my trades this morning. How pathetic is that?

• Hollyclyff
    12 years ago

Please do come Brenda! I'm not bringing my usual trunk load either. I've been dealing with a couple of herniated discs the last few months and haven't been able to do much heavy garden work, so I just potted up small things that didn't require a shovel to dig. And I don't plan on taking much home either. But we don't do this just for the plants anyway, right?

• tamelask
    12 years ago

Amen, Holly! So glad to see you and Brenda and all the others! I'm happy i came home with about 1/2 of what i took. No idea when stuff will get planted, but that's a worry for another day. :)

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery