SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linrose_gw

Fritillary - I think???

linrose
16 years ago

Hi everyone, I guess I should introduce myself, I'm a regular Garden Web poster, but I'm a newbie to butterflies and butterfly gardening. I'm hooked on these beautiful creatures now that I live in what seems to be butterfly heaven! (aka western Kentucky) Just by happy accident I planted an orange and purple garden last season which seems to have attracted a large number and variety of butterflies as well as hummingbirds. We live on 5 acres of mostly old pasture bordered by woodland so our wild friends have lots of food and shelter. Since I've been reading about what kinds of host plants certain butterflies need I've realized that I'd already planted a lot of them already, like bronze fennel,parsley, and milkweed. Our field is full of "butterfly weed" and ironweed and asters and mountain mint and wild bergamot and other butterfly plants. This year we didn't bushhog the field, mostly due to the drought, but I'm hoping that it helped out the butterflies and other wildlife. I hate cutting the field but we need to keep out the woody growth that would eventually take over. OK, so now to the photo, I think I took this in August, can't be sure, I just downloaded some pics from my camera today. Do you think this is a Great Spangled Fritillary? I have a couple of books but it's so hard to tell.

{{gwi:542213}}
{{gwi:542214}}

Thanks!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor