SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dboyle88

Sick sundew

dboyle88
16 years ago

so yeah, I probably haven't posted a message to this forum in close to 5-6 years.

anyways, I recently got a sundew and a butterwort at the same time from a Lowes. both plants looked relatively healthy and the butterwort had a nice flower (lavender with a yellow center) on it. when I got home, I set them up on the back porch where there's a limited amount of bright sunlight. I propped the cheesy plastic cube domes up with pieces of wire for a few days for humidity adjustment, and progressively allowed the dome to be raised for about two weeks.

the sundew quickly lost its dew and it hasn't grown back in about 3-4 weeks. it hasn't sprouted any new leaves. now, it's in a plastic pot with sphagnum, and the pot sits in a casserole dish that I maintain about an inch of distilled water in. the butterwort sits in there too, in a plastic pot. it was nice and dewey until the rain got to it. it's just now regrowing the dew, and this morning I noticed the flower was starting to wrinkle.

I can get pictures of the sundew and butterwort if anyone wants a visual aid.

My question is, the sundew is sick and I'd like to know what caused it so that I can get it back to heatlth. no leaves have grown and it hasn't grown any dew. These plants get about 6 hours of full, direct sunlight each day.

on the other hand, I got some VFTs last year from Home Depot, and after I had gotten them adjusted to the climate, I planted all 3 of them in a larger plastic pot. it did great all year, even sprouted a flower through dormancy! now it's been out of dormancy and is thriving. it's growing like a weed. nice, sturdy red traps grow every day, about 3 or 4 flowers are forming, and there are smaller clusters starting to sprout from around the three larger rosettes. this gets the same appx. 6 hours of full sun each day and stays well hydrated.

anyways, any help would be appreciated. thanks in advance.

Dan

Comments (5)

Sponsored