SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andrew_scott77

My jade collection is growing!

13 years ago

Nancy had emailed me about a week and a half ago asking me if I wanted some jade cuttings for postage and I gladly excepted her offer. Well they got here last Monday. This picture shows most of them I still have 3 jades and an echervia that still need a home. I also will download the picture of Norma's cutting that she sent to me plus I bought 4 more yesterday in Erie. PA. I started this hobby to weeks ago with one Hummel's Sunset. In the past 3 days I added 11 more jades, 2 echervias and an adenium 'Frost Pink'. I will make sure to post the pics of all the new jades. I still would like to add some more but I am going to really look around before getting more. Nancy and I met on the tropical fruits forum and I also found her on the citrus forum. She is one of the nicest people I have met here along with Mike and Norma. All 3 of them have done everything to help me get more plants, fertilizers and great advice and tips on how to make my plants do there best.

Andrew

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:563328}}

Comments (24)

• 13 years ago

Nice collection, Andrew!

That potting soil looks very peaty, however.
    I don't think you'll like how it performs in the long-run.

Josh

• 13 years ago

Hi Andrew, you are most welcome and best of luck with your new found hobby! I've had some very kind people share their Jades with me as well...I wanted to "pay it forward". Thanks so much for the kind words.

Josh knows his Jades...I've learned a lot from him, another great asset to this forum.

Looking forward to the pictures from Norma and your newly purchased plants from Erie. Enjoy them!

• Related Discussions

Anybody Know What's Growing With My Jade Plant?

Q

Comments (2)
    Asparagus densiflorus Sprengerii. I'd separate the two.
    ...See More

My collection is growing 5 pix

Q

Comments (10)
    second shot: Graptoveria 'Fred Ives' at back left (wonderful plant, does well in hot sun and in shade, and keep all healthy leaves you might bump loose; they root easily); and I'd like to see the silvery plant to the right of it. In front of Fred looks to me to be Echeveria 'Perle von Nuremberg.' Not sure about the little Pachyveria?? to its right...and I should know the name of the plant directly in front of the Pachy, but I cannot remember it. Other three are Echeveria, of course; others will be better naming them. third shot: perhaps a 'Silver Dollar Jade' in back left and a Kalanchoe thyrsiflora in the back that hasn't gotten much sun? In front of the jade, an Aeonium 'Kiwi'; center, a Crassula perforata 'String of Buttons'?; right, Echeveria nodulosa. In front of A. 'Kiwi' I see Echeveria runyonii 'Topsy Turvy,' and the front-right plant and Echeveria I can't ID for you. In the second to last shot, I see three A. 'Kiwi,' and the red-tipped green Echeveria to their left is an Echeveria agavoides. Front-right could possibly be an Echeveria pulvinata 'Frosty,' but I am not positive, and the other E.s in the photo and the Sedums you'll need help with.
    ...See More

My jade is growing roots from a branch.

Q

Comments (4)
    It's doing whaat? That doesn't sound normal. Please post a pic. Whaat?...it's been dead around here lately n_n Just kidding. (hangs head) It's perfectly normal. =D
    ...See More

My Jade Collection

Q

Comments (5)
    Thank you! So happy I found this forum! I have owned that Jade for about three years but the trunk was about that size when I found it. So I'm not sure how old it is exactly. I always thought it was interesting because the leaves started out flat and the new growth is more tubular!
    ...See More
  • 13 years ago

Hi Josh,
    Yeah that's what I figured but i got instructions from the nursery in California that I bought my Hummel's from. They told me to mix good quality potting soil at half in half with perlite. IS does dry out fast. I also know that these cuttings wont stay in that planter for very long. The jades are small so I figure maybe a year or two depending on how they grow. Are you good at ID'ing jades Josh? Pug tried to help me but she didn't know what they were all called.
    Hi Nancy,
    I feel the same way about sharing cuttings with friends. Bo has shared so much with me. She was the first one I knew I had to send plants and cuttings to. She is such a nice person and so are you. Those kind words are just how I feel about you. My camera battery needs to charge and I will download the rest. If you see something that you don't have, let me know and I will make sure you get a cutting or plant.
    Andrew

• 13 years ago

Andrew, did I ever send you a few cuttings?

Also, words can not describe the kind human beings Nancy ,Josh, Jojo, NORMA,Cacutumarris, and a few others have been here...It was others here that I promised I would pay it forward to others because of their generousity..I still have some work cut out...

Those are some beauties there that Pug sent you..She too sent me a couple and they still look great.

I myself will always be indebted to many good people here and some that have left for some reason.I told you that you would love this forum..:-)

Mike

• 13 years ago

Really cool Andrew, thanks for posting pictures! That was very nice of you to "pay it forward" pug!

• 13 years ago

Hi Mike,
    I didn't get any cuttings from you yet. I had asked you for some but that was a while ago and I know your a busy guy. Did you recognize any of the jades in that picture? I am hoping someone will know what they are. I would love some more jades and it will take me a while to pay it forward with you also!
    It will rake a little while but I also will have some jades to give away. It may not be till fall or next spring but I will have more to give away.
    Andrew

• 13 years ago

Hi, Andrew!
    I wish I were better at ID'ing Jades...!
    I don't even know how many Jade varieties there are ;)
    If only there were a solid resource online.

From left to right:
    Crassula ovata, C. o. 'Hummel's Sunset,' C. o. 'Gollum' (monstrose leaves),
    C. o. cultivar (with medium sized leaves and probably the pinkish flower - if
    this one originated from John's plant - just a guess).

Josh

• 13 years ago

I will send you one of mine...

It is different...I will e-mail you later..I sent you a few things, and I though that was one of them. My bad.:-*(

Mike

• 13 years ago

Hi Mike,
    Did you just send me something? Do't feel bad about not sending me something. I am sure i will get one some day. I still have not got all those plumerias. My pudicas are not rooting and they don't look like they are going to root. Anyways, when I get those plumies Mike, I will send you some of the cuttings.
    Andrew

• 13 years ago

Hi Josh,
    I do know that the one you called a Hummel Sunset is not Hummel Sunset. I asked Nancy about that and she said that is the rare jade that had the pink flowers.
    Does anyone else have any guesses?
    Andrew

• 13 years ago

See, like I told ya, I'm no good at ID's ;)
    I guess Nancy is the only one who knows the origins.

Here's one of my regular Jades next to a 'Hummel's Sunset.'
    When I see yellow, I immediately think "Hummel's"!
    But I forget how yellow a few of my regular Jades become:

{{gwi:563332}}

Josh

• 13 years ago

Josh,
    I di the exact same thing. I thought it was a Hummel's. I asked Nancy and she reminded me that she didn't have any Hummel's to give away.
    Andrew

• 13 years ago

Andrew, I did some checking to see if I made any notes on that Jade...definitely NOT a Hummel sunset. Last fall I got a small cutting of Jade from a very nice lady here, she told me that the tag on her plant says "Pacific Pink" and its sold to her as having pink blooms...several months later I got a gift from my Sister and that Jade had a tag that said "Christmas Cheer"...when she sent it to me it still had a couple of blooms on it, although most of the blooms were almost dead. I think that the Pacific Pink and Christmas Cheer are probably the same type...just given different names by nurseries or hobbyist...just a guess? The cutting I gave you had the tag 'Christmas Cheer'. Hopefully Cactusmharris, Norma, Rosemarie (or anyone much more knowledgeable than I) about Jades can either confirm it or at least let us know if they know the true name.

Below is the picture of the blooms of the 'Christmas Cheer'. I have no idea if it will ever bloom for me here in FL...I've never been able to get my reg. green Jade that I've had for 4 years to bloom :o(

That Jade got some yellow from our very cold winter, seems to retain it longer than the rest of my other Jades. I've put all my Jades away from too much direct sun but still in very bright light...its been in the upper 90's and some 100's...its pretty much dormant right now anyways.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:544191}}

• 13 years ago

Hi Nancy,
    Thank you for telling me what it is. Boy, it is really hard to find anything on this jade! I tried googling it but everytime I tried, I got Christmas pics of family. Must be they thought that was the "christmas cheer" they thought I was trying to find! LOL!! That's okay Nancy. Out of all the jades I currently have, I most like the Christmas Cheer, the Hummel's Sunset that Norma sent me, and 2 that I bought from Potratz in Erie. I know I have to still post those pictures. Thanks again Nancy.
    Andrew

• 13 years ago

Could be some creative naming of 'Huntington's Pink' but the one shown has I believe darker flowers. I don't have that one and have never heard the name before. So I don't have everything. Does anyone have a spare that I can trade for? Norma

• 13 years ago

Norma sent you an email!

• 13 years ago

Hi everybody,
    I hope everyone is having a great weekend. I live in western NY and we are having a heatwave today. Right now it is in the mid 80's and the teemperature is still climbing! I wanted to post a few pics of the jades I picked up in Erie. Since I still can't post multiple pics at once(It took me awhile to figure out to post one pic! This jade I picked up for $10.00. Considering the size and the height, I thought it was a good deal. I am thinking of removing the leaves on the trunk to make the color of the trunk stand out more. I think it will look much nicer. I was thinking it is a form of Gollum jade but not sure. I am far from being able to ID these jades myself. The nursery could not help me. The nursery called it the jelly bean jade.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:563330}}

• 13 years ago

This is the second jade I got in Erie. Also an unk, the greenhouse was no help with ID on any of the jades I bought. i really like how this is miniature. I brought it home and repotted it right away since the pot it was in was WAY to small. I hope I can figure out soon how to post multiple pics. I have seen the instructions on how to do it but I just need to try it again. I have 2 more jades to post and I will do it later.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:563331}}

• 13 years ago

Hey Andrew nice plants :)

On photobucket got to the album where your photo is saved, then if you put your mouse over the photo but dont click it a box should come up and you need to copy the 3rd code down (html code) and paste that into your message box on here... then do the same for your next photo and they will appear in the same post

Sorry im useless at IDing plants :))

• 13 years ago

Sorry, I have to snicker at the idea of 80 degrees being a heat wave! Right now in my area it's about 95 degrees with about 60% humidity - my camera lens kept fogging up today when I was going outside to snap pictures!

• 13 years ago

I hear ya, it was 98° and humidity was 87% today, needless to say I spent most of my day inside the house with the air on. Only went outside to water a few plants and me,lol...

Nice Jades Andrew, my guess is the first picture is hobbit? The second one not sure what type of Jade it is.

• 13 years ago

Andrew,
    I couldn't see the first Jade, but the second one is a mini Jade variety....
    Pots of these, stuffed full of rooted cuttings, have been showing up at the local
    nurseries. These will usually develop very good color!

Josh

• 13 years ago

Years ago, I copied an article to my computer called Crassula ovata, it's varieties, and cultivars that I referred to a lot when I was adding to my Jade collection. Unfortunately, it doesn't include photos, but it does have pretty detailed descriptions. Anyone interested in a copy can e-mail me through My Page. I'll set it up in PDF format to make it easy to view...

Andrew, I just want to make sure that the long trough-planter has drainage holes in the bottom? Seems like most of those I find don't, but I always drill holes in the bottom. Jades need GOOD drainage, especially when they're over-potted.

Denise in Omaha

• 13 years ago

Hey, Denise! ;)
    I see you've emerged from the Hoya jungle!

I was looking around this morning, and I came across this breakdown:

Crassula ovata cultivars:

Crassula ovata 'Convoluta Gollum' = 'Gollum'
    Crassula ovata 'Convoluta Hobbit' = 'Hobbit'
    Crassula ovata 'Coral' or 'Coralle' = 'Gollum' or similar mutation (Form with leaves fushed into coral-like tubes, apices truncate)
    Crassula ovata 'Dwarf Hobbit' (A listed name. There are both smaller and larger variants of 'Gollum' and 'Hobbit', some not very distinct indeed.)
    Crassula ovata 'Finger Jade' = 'Gollum' (A listed name. It should be noted that 'Lady Fingers' is a very distinct clone from 'Gollum'. )
    Crassula ovata 'Gandalff' (Form with fused leaf, the name being a takeoff on 'Hobbit' . Distinctions not yet reported.)
    Crassula ovata 'Giant Gollum' ='Green Giant Coral' (As 'Gollum' but larger overall)
    Crassula ovata 'Gollum' ['Golumn', 'Convulata Gollum', C. x portulacea f. monstrosa] ( Leaves rolled into a tube, usually with one part protecting longer than the other margin. Tips reddish in light. It has nearly 100% tubular leaves and not the number of flat, spoon-shaped and irregular blades - incomplete tubes - of 'Hobbit'. )
    Crassula ovata 'Green Giant Coral' = 'Giant Gollum'
    Crassula ovata 'Hobbit' (With leaves twisted, rolled inward but not tubular as 'Gollum'. It has many spoon-shaped, shovel-shaped and wide open tubes that some have compared to a pita sandwich or gyros)
    Crassula ovata 'Horn Tree' (A listed name for a fused-leaf plant listed separately from 'Gollum'. Perhaps just a name for large stock of a similar type.)
    Crassula ovata 'Lady Fingers' (With leaves fused into tubes as 'Gollum' but tubes distinctly narrower, longer, and more upright. It is a more elegant plant from photos.)
    Crassula ovata 'Sea Coral' = 'Gollum'
    Crassula x portulacea 'Baby Jade'[C. ovata x C. lactea] (It is smaller than C. ovata on average, eventually a small woody shrub, leaves smaller than C. ovata all green. this name is for the typical clone(s) of the trade. Not all species hybrids will be the same)
    Crassula x portulacea f. monstrosa = C. ovata 'Gollum'

Josh