SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kiwigeek

poor abused flytrap

kiwigeek
17 years ago

About two weeks ago, I bought my first flytrap. At Walgreens. That was my first mistake. After asking for advice from the nice guys at Sarracenia Northwest, I removed the leaves with wilted teeth, had the pot submerged in 1/2 to 1 in rainwater, and kept it in the windowsill or on the porch in warm weather. Full sun. They didn't tell me whether I should repot now or wait a year, but it had three little leaves developing, of varying sizes, and I figured the people who started it must have done something right, or it wouldn't have had those.

Then I decided, fatefully, that I should remove the one remaining full-grown leaf, as it also had wilted teeth and wasn't improving. I accidentally pulled off the three younger leaves as well! Eeek! I asked the SN guys for advice again, but they're very busy, and I'm not a customer (yet) so I didn't get an answer. But I figured, the roots are still intact, it should grow back. I continued with the rainwater and sun, but after many days I saw no results. Also, some naughty neighbor tipped over the pot and water tray twice and it may have stayed that way for several hours before I found it. But the soil was still moist.

Today my husband accidentally closed the window on the poor little thing. Squished the pot to half height and mashed the soil. I gently crumbled the soil into a plastic ice cream cup, looking for the rhizome or taproot or whatever. All I found was a small thin root-like piece with about three tiny branches. Also some pieces of decaying wood, which I doubt are found in sphagnum moss. Are these producing the equivalent of fertilizer? I took them out.

So I made drain holes in the ice cream cup, and it's back in the best conditions I can provide for the moment. I intend to buy from SN in the future, but I'm very stubborn, and would like to revive this little guy if possible. Can it be done?

Comments (6)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES