SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bruinsfan_gw

Giant Leopard Moth Cat, found

bruinsfan
16 years ago

Hello all,

First, thank you for all being here to help. I found the coolest, largest caterpillar I've ever seen today. I looked it up online and discovered it to be a Giant Leopard Moth caterpillar, I've never seen either this cat or the moth itself here, about 30 miles north of Boston.

Can I keep this guy/gal overwinter and let a beautiful moth go in the spring?

I've never done this before and I'm not to familiar w/the species, but I understand they will eat anything (so that's good). I have a bazillion questions and would love to NOT screw this up and be able to see this transformation if possible.

So, here goes:

1. Should I even do this, or should I just put it out and let nature do her thing?

2. If I can do this what do I put the cat in? Small plastic container? 5 gallon aquarium? Fish bowl? I suppose they don't need much room.

3. Objects for the container? Sticks, dirt, leaves, water? Things to climb on and attach a nice chrysalis to?

4. Where to put the container? We have an unheated garage/cellar but it's completely dark in there, would it need light? It doesn't get to freezing, probably in the 40's or 50's maybe? I keep a Japanese Maple in there over winter that is in a pot.

5. I also have an unheated pantry area, that gets light, keeps beer nice and cold during the winter out there, so it's chilly for sure.

Any help is appreciated, this moth looks so beautiful, I'd love to be able to let it go in the spring. I'm excited about it.

Thank you!!!!!

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz