SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brenda_near_eno

WANTED: Raleigh Swap Wish List

brenda_near_eno
16 years ago

OK, September is right around the corner and that's SWAP TIME!!!! Karen brought up the question of what people are looking for, and I am also wondering what I should put on to start rooting now. Maybe we could have a post of "wants" to get ideas.

(I'm still on Step 1 of my 12-Step Plant Addiction Program, and I consider this a healthy step in lieu of starting a special swap page 9 weeks before the swap. Humor me that I'm making progress.)

I'm definitely rooting up some hardy Fuchsia I got at PDN last spring -it's gone crazy all summer with vivid pink and purple "ballerinas." What else to root? Salvias? (Karen, I always need more.) Beautyberries? Agastache? Foamflower? Shade or sun? I'm on the look-out for ferns and weird impatiens and sea oats and white "cemetary" iris and lamium and weird violets and anything that likes shade. And especially anyone's favorite pass-along plant that grandma grew but nurseries don't. (Invasive does not scare me and my poor rock-hard clay, except for the dreaded Oriental Limelight Artemesia.)

Comments (150)

• alicia7b
    16 years ago

Woodsworm: How about trading gardenia (seedling) for Carolina allspice?

Brenda, I'd love a Prunus mume seedling.

• tophersmith
    16 years ago

rootdiggernc Do you have any more Coral/Trumpet Honeysuckle cuttings? I have the red honeysuckle but can't seem to get ant cuttings to root, what's your secret?

• Related Discussions

WANTED: Food List for the Raleigh 2012 Spring Plant Swap

Q

Comments (8)
    I would love to say I was bringing something made with all the strawberries I'm picking from the garden but the truth is they never seem to make it to the kitchen. Everything else in the yard is either way to old or way to young to harvest. I will be bringing stuff but more than likely I will just swing by the Lowe's Foods down the street from the swap and buy it last minute to save time.
    ...See More

WANTED: Food list for Raleigh swap

Q

Comments (6)
    I'm bringing Pest Pasta Salad since I am over run with fresh basil - thanks to extra greenhouse space that allowed seedlings to get way to big for late winter and for me planting them out already and then having to run around the garden and chop them down before the "frost" last night that didn't happen after all.
    ...See More

WANTED: Raleigh Swap Wish List 2

Q

Comments (150)
    vicky- i don't want to dig up any of my plants, but they have lots of seed set and i could bring that for you. the lady i got mine from had lots of seedlings, so i presume they seed fairly easily. mine just haven't reseeded around much yet. dogridge- sounds great. we can get the boulder either in our van or pete can run home & grab the truck if need be- we live close to this swap. karen- the betsy's choice sounds great. i can overwinter it in the cool greenhouse and get it in the ground come spring if you think that would be wiser. unless we get rain, i doubt i'd out it in the ground anyhow. i lost too many newly planted things to the drought this year.
    ...See More

WANTED: Food List for Raleigh Fall Swap 2009

Q

Comments (6)
    It will be between Waldorf Salad or Broccoli Salad - it will involve being chilled and slightly sweet.
    ...See More
  • nancyofnc
    16 years ago

I'd like some more toad lilies, epimediums, bloodroot, flame azaleas, and clematis, or some variegated something, please, anyone?

I've got variegated Solomon's seal and daylilies galore, heirloom and mini iris, and white crinum. And I should do something with my Salvia koyame, and I wonder if Brenda_near_Eno ever got enough Chocolate Chip ajuga?

Sigh - it is too hot to even go look in the garden today. I am so tired of flashlight gardening.

Nancy the nancedar

• rootdiggernc
    16 years ago

Top, I have not tried to root the coral honeysuckle. I just got mine last year from a swap.

• Ralph Whisnant
    16 years ago

Shari, I still have some Cuban Oregano in pots, and will start some more for the swap. I have noticed that in the Trial Garden area at JC Ralston Arboretum that there are several different Plectranthus ambionicus cultivars this year.

• Jean Hidden
    16 years ago

karen__w I have flowering quince for you. Let me know if you are interested. Thanks! Jean

• alicia7b
    16 years ago

Ralph did you get any muhly going from the seed from the spring swap? If not I have a potted one I can bring. Don't know if it's capillaris or filipes.

• Jean Hidden
    16 years ago

To all who were wondering when the fall swap would be, here is the info John just posted:

Raleigh Fall Swap 2007
    Saturday October 6th 2007
    2:00pm til 5:00pm
    Creech Road Elementary School Park
    Garner NC 27529

• woodsworm
    16 years ago

Alicia, I'll have some Carolina allspice for you.

• brenda_near_eno
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Nancy, got your tiarella, bloodroot (if I can find leaf still on surface), something variegated, snowball still trying.
    Alicia, prunus mume.

Everyone likes their swap plants extra crispy, right?

• karen__w z7 NC
    16 years ago

Jean, I'd love the quince. Had some at my old garden and used to bring in branches for forcing every winter. Let me know what you're looking for.

Nancy, do you have Caryopteris 'Snow Fairy'? I was thinking about trying some cuttings if the temp ever drops below 100 again and would be happy to put one aside for you if I can get them rooted.

Woodsworm, I'd love a tuberose if you've got some to share. What could I bring you in return? I looked at your list on your member page. I don't have gladiolus 'Carolina Primrose' but I could bring you 'Boone'.

• ratgirl
    16 years ago

Woodsworm: Yay on the clethra! I'll look forward to it.

I am looking through my "inventory" to see what I might have for the swap. I have a small Hibiscus coccineus (Texas star) and a small Agave parryii, dahlias, redbuds (species) and possibly divisions/starts of: Alocasia portidora, banana 'Little Prince' and Xanthosoma 'Lime Ginger'. Also have the ubiquitous black and blue salvia and four o'clocks. Lots of plastic pots of various sizes.

I'm looking for: Ostrich fern (Matteuccia struthiopteris)
    staghorn sumac (Rhus typhina) cultivar 'Tiger eye' aka 'Bailtiger' or native species, gas plant (Dictamnus albus),
    Oriental poppies, any color, Sealing wax palm (Cyrtostachys lakka, Cyrtostachys renda), Baptisia alba. Non-plant things:
    Blue bottles especially, but any colored ones, sprayer nozzles for hoses, hoe, potting soil. Open to other things -- tempt me!

Carla B.

• alicia7b
    16 years ago

Carla, I have Baptisia alba (this year's seedlings). What color dahlias do you have?

• ratgirl
    16 years ago

Alicia -- I am unsure of the color just yet. I have two small potted ones that haven't bloomed yet, from a mix of unnamed bulbs I got from a lady in the mountains. The larger ones I put in the ground have started to bloom. One has a very large (6-8 inches across), deep wine-colored flower. The other one has a smaller flower that is pink-and-white striped and sort of ruffley. The potted ones I have to trade will likely be one or the other. Or who knows? Maybe I'll get another surprise. I gave Ralph one also and haven't asked him yet what color his turned out to be.

• Ralph Whisnant
    16 years ago

Alicia7b, I would love a Muhley grass plant. I have not yet begun to update my trade list, but I will have lots of new, good stuff. This weather and the deer have me in a funk. Just for fun, are there any things that you are looking for? By the way, several of us have been listing Salvia 'Sky Blue'. At the spring swap, I received a pot of bog sage. It is now blooming and looks identical to what we have been calling 'Sky Blue'. Bog Sage is Salvia uliginosa from S. Africa and pictures of it on Dave's Garden confirm that it is the same as 'Sky Blue'.

• alicia7b
    16 years ago

Carla, do you want to trade baptisia for dahlia then?

RalphW, I have you down for a Muhly.

• woodsworm
    16 years ago

Karen, I'd love some Boone glad and I have you some tuberose.

• MagickMare
    16 years ago

Ralph - I'd LOVE some Tricyrtis with yellow variegation swirled with green & Arum italicum... Is there anything you'd be interested in?

• karen__w z7 NC
    16 years ago

Nancy, do you know which white crinum you have?

• ratgirl
    16 years ago

Yes, Alicia. Dahlia for baptisia sounds good. I can give you the two potted ones I have.
    Carla

• rootdiggernc
    16 years ago

Alicia... did your baby sorrel seedlings make it from last year? We had talked about swapping for them before, but they needed some grow time.

• alicia7b
    16 years ago

Those died over the winter. I have 2 new ones but they are very small as well.

• rootdiggernc
    16 years ago

Ok, thanks for letting me know Alicia.

I just took several cuttings to root from a no name Epiphyllum if anyone is interested let me know. I don't know which one it is, but while I was taking cuttings I discovered it has its very 1st bud/bloom!! It's one of the very 1st epi cuttings I got back in 02 and it could be a red but most likely a white. This is a tender house plant and will probably bloom at night. If it's the oxypetalatum it'll be fragrant. Other names for the oxy epi; Christ in a Manger, Dutchman's Pipe Cactus, Queen of the Night, Night Blooming Cereus. We have parties when they bloom as it's pretty awesome watching them open! Another one (not an oxy) has 11 blooms on it so I can't wait for that one!! It'll prolly be a week to ten days before this one opens, but I'll take pics when it does.

Here is a link that might be useful: video of Night Blooming Cereus (not mine)

• alicia7b
    16 years ago

Rootdigger, I have a fragrant mockorange I can take cuttings of if you're interested.

• rootdiggernc
    16 years ago

Alicia, Thanks, but I just dug and gave my mock orange away last spring, lol.... it just never grew that well for me, so after about 10 years of not even wanting to look in its direction I dug it up and sent it to be swapped! Plants Beware! ;D

• tamelask
    16 years ago

brenda, sorry it took me so long to get back to you. vacation, lasek & all that. i can still barely see the keyboard and screen so please forgive any typos. i'd love some koyame. i think i bought a variegated form at bb's a month ago, but will be happy to have the plain, too. lots of dry shade, and i love the leaf form. i'll be happy to root my plects for you. i'll dig some of the ruellia after we get rain (ever?) and will be happy to do more kiwi cuttings the morn of. it needs trimmed anyhoo. you'd want both sexes, right?

i'm going to try and root some various things i have around that look ok with this drought. probably that watermelon pink summer sage, some of the bridal wreath spirea (old fashioned one), mock orange, winter honeysuckle, and anything else that looks promising. maybe roses- let me know if there's interest, or if most everyone got the ones they wanted from me. i'm going to try hard to keep trading down this time so i can concentrate on the fair plot. it has to be finished just a few days after the swap, so.... not to mention my pot ghettos (3 right now) are out of control. i need a 12 step program... :)

• Hollyclyff
    16 years ago

Carla - I'm interested in your agave if it hasn't been promised. Check my list for plant trades, though I haven't had a chance to update it. Also what size bottles are you needing? We drink Skyy vodka around here which comes in a beautiful blue bottle I could save for you. I've already got one empty and one opened one in the freezer.
    Dana

• shari1332
    16 years ago

Brenda, my 'Indigo Spires' appears to have rooted. Would you like to trade for 'Albury Purple' St. John's Wort?

• brenda_near_eno
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sounds good, Shari, but let me look around - I may have some other goodies that might appeal to you. Do you like named euphorbias?

Wonder or wonders, the root cutting of Viburnum 'Sterile' has sprouted, Nancy, so it's yours if I didn't just hex it into croaking.

Everything promised has rooted except the fuchsia, so I started more of those yesterday.

Anyone have spare tigerlily bulbils or dark-ish elephant ears - black magic, illustris, whatever? Mine all croaked last winter.

Variegated koyame, Tammy? Another reason to go to BB. Like I needed one......

• shari1332
    16 years ago

Euphorbia would be great. I tried 'Helena's Blush' last fall but it didn't make it past the Easter Freeze- think it just wasn't established enough and probably wanted a little shade too. I'm game to try any. Even the agressive ones.

• tamelask
    16 years ago

pretty sure it's koyame- it's the one with arrow/shield shaped leaves, right? i lost the tag on that one in the shuffle somehow. when i get enough, i'll be happy to share if you wan wait. :)

deb, i managed to get some more coltsfolt in PA, so i'll be bringing that for you, too. i know when you get it, you'll say, 'oh i see that everywhere!' it's a common weed at higher elevations than here. should be in your hood or not far towards the mtns.

• karen__w z7 NC
    16 years ago

I think I've got roots on most everything I've promised from cuttings so far. I'll try and post a list this evening. Brenda, I've started you a San Isidro Moon, saw it on your wish list. I wouldn't count on it being hardy for us, though. Mine is potted and will be coming inside the garage under lights this winter. Didn't I give you nubicola before? If not, I've got another going and can put it aside for you.

Tammy, does Salvia nipponica 'Fuji Snow' ring a bell on your variegated one? The foliage and habit are very koyame-like, but smaller in scale. One nice feature is that the seedlings are also variegated.

• Jean Hidden
    16 years ago

Tammy,
    I would still love a rooted piece of your purple multicolored rose, if you can get one. I know you said it is hard to get rooted. You were going to to try to bring me one last year but someone else accidently picked it up.
    Still saving a spot for it, in case. :-)

Karen, for the quince, I would be happy with almost any hardy salvia - let me know what you rooted/have extras of! I didn't know that you could bring quince branches inside in the winter for forcing. Great idea! I need to remember to try that!

Thanks!
    Jean

• Jean Hidden
    16 years ago

Does anyone have any Rue? How about butterfly weed seeds?
    Jean

• tamelask
    16 years ago

hmmm- i don't know, karen. doesn't ring a bell- but i looked at ALL the salvias- and they all mushed together! i could have sworn it was koyame. next time i'm down there i'll check. i couldn't believe that label disappeared.

jean- you have to be referring to veilchenblau, which is very easy to root. i can see if i can get one rooted before the swap or bring fresh cuttings. it's super vigorous, grape purple through pink as it blooms and non fragrant. i do have a fuchsia purple that's much smaller in plant size, not multicolored, once blooming, easy easy and is super fragrant. it's very tough to root, and i brought 1 plant before, so that may be what you're thing of. but i happen to have 1 if you want it (it's dehlia's purple). let me know which (or both) you want. oh, and i should have some fresh asclepia tuberosum seeds by then. no extra rue, but magick (i think) had some in spring. thanks, t

• MagickMare
    16 years ago

It wasn't me - I had mostly Hostas in the spring.

I've got a bunch of White Beauty Berry Seedlings, some Confederate Jasmine that I'm trying to root, & some native ferns.

I would love to find some Ruellia brittoniana

• karen__w z7 NC
    16 years ago

Tammy, I'd love to try a cutting of Veilchenblau, unrooted is fine. I got your Pink Climber to root last fall but struck out on the Veilchenblau.

• Jean Hidden
    16 years ago

Tammy,
    Yes, you were right. Veilchenblau is the one I really want! It is stunning! Is it really nearly thornless? (a bonus)
    (delia's purple rose is a hard one to google isn't it? lol).
    I would love some Asclepias tuberosum (orange butterfly weed) seeds. I may have yellow Asclepias seeds for you some time in the future. I had some old seeds from a seed swap that I scattered on the grnd & poss 2 seedlings are coming up (hope so!) If so, I will collect seeds from them to share when they mature. I had an ostrich fern for you - the one that I thought last year had died, but it only went dormant. Well, it went dormant again! even w/ timer sprinklers on that bed. When it comes up again in the spring, I will pot it up for you, though.
    I have these seeds available to trade for the Asclepias seeds: rose campion, sunset coneflwr, fancy frills coneflwr, lambs ear, purple low-growing spreading petunia, a few parsley seeds.

Does anyone have passion vine or any experience with it? It is supposed to be a great bfly host plant but also invasive? I was wondering HOW invasive in this area? Most comments @ how inv. it is were written by gardeners from CA and FL.
    If anyone has some, and can root it, I would love to try it.

Also, does anyone know about rue & how bad it is as far as contact dermatitis? John, have you gotten 'burned' from yours at all? I am allergic to poison ivy and am wondering if that is an indication that it would cause problems for me and my kids, even if I put it an acre away from the house, on the side? I am actually talking about Rue (Ruta graveolens), host plant for giant blk swallowtails, but Ruellia brittoniana (Mexiacan petunia) looks like a great plant too, I agree.

I do have plain green salvia koyame that I can try to root, if there is interest. It had pretty yellow flwrs. I am not the most successful rooter, unless the plant is easy :-)

Ralph had Asclepias last fall. I traded with him for one, but the cats on it ate it and killed it b/c it never came back up. They had so little to eat. But they were worth losing the Asclepias for b/c now they are all over, and eating (hope not killing) my one parsley plant. If I get enough host plants, they should be happy with my nectar plants. Ralph, do you have one or two more to trade this year? I can bring you native ginger and viburnum.

• Jean Hidden
    16 years ago

rootdiggernc, I would like to trade for your jasmine, lemon balm mint, and a couple of bronze fennels, if available. I can offer a couple of large rocks in exchange, plus chocolate mint and spearmint. I will see if I can root some salvias and hardy gardenia.

• trianglejohn
    16 years ago

jean

No dermatitis from Rue for me but I don't touch it much and Poison Ivy doesn't cause major problems with my skin (I have it year round thanks to the dog). The caterpillars that were on it ate it back to nothing! Not a leaf left. Don't know where they went and I hope they got enough to eat.

I have potted local Passion vine - Maypop. They are invasive but easy to recognise, so easy to weed out when small. I wouldn't plant it in a flowerbed, they are best in a wild area where they can ramble.

You could just bring fresh cuttings of your Koyame salvia to the swap - people could take them home to root.

• karen__w z7 NC
    16 years ago

Jean, our native Passiflora lutea grows wild in my meadow. The flowers are small and yellow but just as intricate as the incarnata, and it's a host for Gulf Fritillary. I let it wander where it will. I don't know how it's faring this summer with the heat and drought, but if I find something suitable for digging I'd be glad to bring it to the swap.

As for rue, I have had the rash. It contains psoralens which react with UV light to cause dermatitis, or phytophototoxicity. It wasn't fun at all. I'd plant it again, though, but I'd wear gloves and I wouldn't put it where I was going to brush up against it all the time. I will say that at the time I was pregnant and my skin was more reactive than usual, but I think anyone can get it given sufficient skin exposure and light.

• alicia7b
    16 years ago

Tammy I want your Dehlia's Purple if it isn't promised yet.

• tamelask
    16 years ago

ok- jean first. yes, i'd love the ostrich fern come spring. i dug a few from PA/home this summer and we'll see if they took. they have roots to china, even the small ones. dehlia's purple is impossible to find on the net. i got it from my garden mentor and have no idea where she found it. she has something like 250 old varieties, and she's been gathering for many years, so who knows. since you want veilchenblau and alicia asked for the dehlia's, i'll give that one to her. i'll keep throwing trimmings in a pot like i've done before and cross my fingers that i get it to root again- it's much easier to dig a sucker of. yes, veilchenblau isn't too thorny. you'll still get scratched pretty good when you go to prune it though. the thorns it does have are a decent size and easy to see. the reason your asclepias didn't come back is the kind he gave you isn't perennial here- you'd have had to take it in- it's asclepias currasavica. you want a. tuberosum, which isn't quite as pretty but is dead easy and hardy here. and it develops a long tap root, so put it where you want it, because after it's about 6 mos old, it's nigh impossible to move. i'd be tickled with some yellow seeds if you get them. i don't need any of the others, but am always happy with rocks! :) i'd be really careful with maypop here- esp the native blue one- it is pretty invasive. you can always grow it in a big pot with no contact with the ground.

that said, karen, i'd love some p. lutea if you can dig some. i'm happy to bring you veilchenblau, and am thrilled you got pink pillar to root. that one is tricky, so kudos! it's one of my very faves.

i've never gotten the rash from rue, but have always worn gloves around it as my skin is pretty sensitive. i do get poison ivey pretty bad. fyi, about 10% of folks who get PI, also have reaction to the sap of english or boston ivy- so beware if you need to pull a patch. sorry magick- if it wasn't you i can't figure who it was i got the rue from in spring. jean, maybe you can reread that thread?

i have ruellia, but i don't know which one. it's about 18" high, flowers are 1.25" long & across, and its leaves tend to be a bit bronzy. i might be able to get 1 more plant; i have to dig one for alicia and brenda.

• alicia7b
    16 years ago

Thanks Tammy. I have a beautybush, do you want me to try to root some cuttings of it in return?

• tamelask
    16 years ago

if it can handle like 4 hours sun, yes, but otherwise i'd better pass. they are so pretty but i just don't have much sun. thanks! t

• karen__w z7 NC
    16 years ago

Tammy, I'll look for the P. lutea this weekend. Now that I've a grand total of one rose cutting that rooted I thought I would try my hand at some Marie Pavie for the swap -- unfortunately the deer pruned it for me last night. Maybe I'll play with 'Pink Pet' instead, unless the herd revisits while I'm at work today.

• rootdiggernc
    16 years ago

Jean, I'm sorry but the nite blooming jasmine is set aside for someone. Lemon balm is no problem to dig once this heat lets up and I can get you at least one nice bronze fennel too. It has nice roots because I had wacked mine back when they started falling over everywhere so they're just now coming back out and are very sturdy plants. I think I have some seeds too if you like. Rocks and spearmint would be great.

Does anyone have the old fashioned 'Black' peppermint?

• alicia7b
    16 years ago

Tammy 4 hours of sun would probably be sufficient. Niche has one growing in part sun (that's where mine came from); they've got it growing up on a trellis since it tends to get a bit leggy. As I recall it did put on a very respectable show in the spring.

• dogridge
    16 years ago

Jean- I have several small (10")Rue plants. The cats really love them and they are a bit chewed up, but should come back once it gets cooler. I have loads of butterflies this year and can only assume it is from having the host plants around.

i am looking for:
    grasses- large or small
    euphorbias
    old fashioned bridal wreath spirea
    peonies
    bronze fennel
    vinca
    baptisia- any color
    other deer and drought tolerant plants.

I have to trade:
    plastic pots
    new terra cotta pots up to 12"- 15"- some interesting shapes- long toms, jugs, fluted edge
    white iris
    maybe more stuff to come

• ratgirl
    16 years ago

Dana -- I'll put aside an agave for you. When you update your trade items, let me know. Otherwise, I'm open to daylilies. I have very few.
    Carla B.

Sponsored