SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tpolony

Can mesh enclosures cause leg hooks to fall off?

tpolony
14 years ago

I've had a couple of front claw/hook mishaps with my monarchs, and I don't know how they happened.

I discovered one with her left front hook missing. Her leg was completely intact up to the point where the hook should be, but the hook was gone. I believe she was normal at eclosure.

Yesterday, another problem. This time the left front leg seemed out of position, so that the hook was pointing in the opposite direction of how it should point, kind of like your wrist being twisted so that your palm points upward. She was holding the leg funny, so I don't think the hook itself was the problem. I think she was OK upon eclosing, and I don't think she could eclose too well with the hook and leg going the wrong way. She eclosed at 7 PM and I noticed it the next morning.

She figured out how to turn her leg so it could hook on the mesh of the enclosure, but then she kept getting it stuck. It wasn't long before the hook and the last little segment of leg with it came off, probably because of her struggling with it. The bright side is that now she's moving MUCH better with the missing hook and leg segment. She seems to move the leg just fine.

Is it possible that these tulle and mesh enclosures could be part of the problem? Do the butterflies maybe have trouble at times disengaging their hooks from them, and this causes the problem? I'm really sure these injuries happened post-eclosure, and were not "birth" defects. Anyone else had any problems like this?

Thanks!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!