SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
misssherryg

Rustic Sphinx Moth Caterpillar

MissSherry
14 years ago

I went across the hollow to cut more sweetgum leaves for my luna cats this morning, and on the way back, I pushed a yaupon branch out of the way, then turned around and went back to look at the branch again. It looked like there was a caterpillar on it, and sure enough, there was a sphinx moth caterpillar, about 1 1/2" long! I'm pretty sure it's a rustic sphinx moth, because of the purple in the oblique lines - it doesn't yet have the grainy stuff on its head and horn or the blue-gray coloring along the purple oblique lines. If it is indeed a rustic sphinx it will grow huge, bigger than a tomato hornworm and prettier. I've only found one before, and it was long before the hurricane - I found it eating the gardenia in my garden. This was when I was just starting to raise butterflies, and I didn't have a clue about what to do with sphinx moth cats, so I left it alone. I also didn't have a camera, so I didn't get a picture. It's very exciting to find another one after all this time! Yaupon holly/Ilex vomitoria isn't listed anywhere as a host for this species, but then neither is gardenia, and there are SO many different plants listed, I'd think it's really a generalist. This is also the first time I've ever found a caterpillar of any type on yaupon - it has small, tough leaves that probably aren't too appealing to many leps. I'm guessing this one's mother chose yaupon, because so many of the tree leaves are looking bad at this time of year, you know, spots and such. Yaupon grows everywhere here, and I've found a lot of it with new growth, so I cut some nice stems with tender leaves for the cat. Yaupon is a good plant, because the females makes beautiful, plentiful red fruit that birds eat in the winter time - yaupon has probably kept many birds alive in late winter before spring arrives!

Anyway, here's a picture of it taken where I found it -

{{gwi:538762}}
And here's a picture I took of it by the front steps before I brought it in -

{{gwi:538763}}
And here's a picture I took a few years ago, before the hurricane I think, of an adult at a moonflower. These are BIG sphinx moths with about a 6" wing span - this one looks small, because the moonflower it's nectaring on was at least 9" across!

{{gwi:538765}}
If you know of another type sphinx moth that this could be, please let me know!

Sherry

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996