SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rootdiggernc

#2: Raleigh 'Special Trades' - Spring 2008

rootdiggernc
16 years ago

Sally I can bring you some lamium.

Does anyone have the hardy to zone 6 red Verbena peruviana? I really love the hardy homestead purple and would love to try this red.

Comments (150)

• tamelask
    16 years ago

Sally, i'll bring the iris. Can i get a start of the eupatorium greggii from you? Got that one last year from bb's, but lost it in the drought. Love the foliage! Yep, i know, it's a thug.

Karen, that sounds good. If you lose it, i can always give it to you again. I've never done anything special with them- no rootone or anything- just kept it reasonably moist & forgotten them. Glad you don't mind the cyclamen are tiny. They are going dormant, so you may just get some almost clear white little 'peas'. :) They must have really liked the drought because i found many times more seedlings this year than i ever have before. They may have been out competing each other before, too. The bulk were around the parent plant's crown.

• aisgecko
    16 years ago

Alicia, the H.F.Young clematis didn't root as well as I had thought so it got very mad when I dug it up. I'll still bring it if it's at all alive, but I wouldn't feel right taking anything for it. You can drop something off my list or I could bring another daylily (or something?).

Karen, I am bringing some coral honeysuckle if you want one.

Magick, do you want some plants in exchange for your turtles?

I'm bringing some blue spiderworts (the kind that clumps and doesn't seed around), helebores foetidus, 'the fairy' rose, winter honeysuckle, coral honeysuckle, carolina phlox 'Bill Baker', oxalis 'rosea'(which blooms a long time and doesn't set seeds like the normal pink shamrock), and whatever else I can dig up today and tomorrow.

• Related Discussions

WANTED: Special Trades for Spring 2008 Swap

Q

Comments (150)
    Alicia's azalea seedlings rock, and I would always be happy to trade for another! Mine aren't quite big enough to plant out yet, but they keep growing. So this is what I think-correct me if wrong: Ais: fuchsia ÂSanihanfÂ, for polygonatum 'humile' Alicia: fuchsia ÂSanihanf and bloodroot, for heucherella and columbine Tammy: (dig sourwood baby for next time; all your kiwi cuttings rooted and sprouted!) Karen, fuchsia ÂSanihanfÂ, anything fine in return. Ralph: either Spires salvia would be wonderful. What are you looking for? I have Mimulus niger, fuchsia, or ÂKaliedescope Abelia for you, if youÂd like. Rootdigger: bloodroot for hardy hibiscus or begonia? I have available: Seedling Tiarella crosses between native and ÂIron Cross  these all look different and are lush and drought tolerant when established Agastache Âhoneybee blue Seedlings of Zephyranthes labuffarosea (2 pots of baby bulbs) Rattlesnake Plantain(1) Impatiens capensis and native butterfly pea have become pests for me, so plenty to share Beautyberry (1) Bloodroot (5) Seedlings of Salvia splendens ÂDancing Flame Seedlings of Campanula latifolia If you see somthing else on my un-updated trade list, it can probably still be dug. Looking for shade plants. Unusual lantana. More tiger lilies that do so well here. Still seeking Impatiens zomensis lost to everyone I think.
    ...See More

WANTED: Continued 2:Special Trades for Raleigh Swap

Q

Comments (150)
    Arwen, I would take an allium, if you have an extra available. karen__w, I will gladly take a begonia or two :-) tamelask(Tam): I would love rose cuttings of: veilchenblau, osette Delizy and fantin latour, if available. ferndottar(Dawn), I would try a Jack in the Pulpit, if still available. Brenda, since you said you had plenty, I'd gladly take one of the Japanese Apricot trees thripmaster, I would not mind at all if you were able to reserve a small cup of the Veronica spicata 'Blue Charm' (Spiked Speedwell)following for me, if still available. Bmaxx, would love some glads... Ais, I just read that you wanted a sourwood to attrack birds - don't have that, but I have Ratibida pinnata (prairie coneflower) that birds love; do you want me to bring you one? Thanks everyone, Jean (jnhidden)
    ...See More

End of Summer Raleigh Swap Special Trades

Q

Comments (65)
    Hey again topher, I don't know if you have these or if you'd be interested but I can offer you: Tropical White Canna Colocasia esculenta 'Nancy's Revenge' Colocasia Fontanesii Black Stem That's the only good stuff I have except for baby Mexican Bird of Paradise. They are babies really, and 1 baby Musa Zebrina. That's it. :) Fran
    ...See More

WANTED 2.0: Special Trades for Sep 9 Raleigh Swap

Q

Comments (134)
    yes, alicia- you were the other one who'd left before i realized it. i hadn't wanted the cuttings to wilt, which is why i waited til after the general swapping, but as usual i was running my mouth too much and didn't notice folks were leaving (never happen with me, right!?). i'll have to go back and look at my list, but i will try and root what i owe you for spring alicia. if not, i can take cuttings. and i didn't even get to say hello- i'm so sorry! a few other folks were supposed to get one thing, but you and ais had the bulk, other than jean, who got hers. jean, and anyone else who got roses from me: if it was not marked, it was veilchenblau. all of the others would have had a name written on a leaf. it roots easily, isn't too thorny, and is not fragrant. it's a very vigorous climber that blooms in clusters that cover the trellis all at once- so it makes a breathtaking tapestry of grapey purple, blueish purple, reddish pinky purple, and an occasional white bloom. no rebloom, sorry to say. very carefree- the only thing is the JBs like it. i don't spray, feed or do anything else to mine except prune- hard- because it grows so big so fast. tam
    ...See More
  • alicia7b
    16 years ago

Shari the Spacecoast Starbust sounds great.

Ais another daylily sounds good.

• MagickMare
    16 years ago

Ais - If you have any extra toad lilies - I love them! Otherwise, just knowing the turtles will have a home & some play time with kids is enough for me.

• keithrnjd
    16 years ago

Tammy, sure thing!

I have a purple crepe myrtle that anyone can have who wants to dig it up. It's about 6 feet tall, and this is it's second or third year. It just showed up about 30 feet from the line of them that I planted several years ago.

Sally

• karen__w z7 NC
    16 years ago

Ais, I'd definitely take the coral honeysuckle, but what I'd really like is Virginia bluebells. I got some from you last year but it didn't survive the drought. I hate to admit that, but I planted it and then went on vacation for 3 weeks, and when I got back we were already in 'extreme drought' conditions. It's never come back from dormancy. I was still hoping until this afternoon, when I saw it blooming in a friends garden and realized mine was 'permanently dormant'. Let me know what you'd be interested in as trade, for either one or both of those.

• Ralph Whisnant
    16 years ago

Karen, the S. 'Red Texas Sage' is a coccinea, so it is coming your way. I also have a blue-flowered hybrid S. 'Cardona' if you are interested. Also, S. farinacea 'Fairy Queen'. A link to Cardona is below. Here is the web address for a picture of 'Fairy Queen'. http://www.benary.com/index.cfm/addin/plants/artnr/V0680.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to Grolink Picture of s. Cardona

• tamelask
    16 years ago

Ralph- i have that one- it's also spelled 'caradonna'. You'll probably get more hits on google images if you use that spelling. Lovely color.

Karen, my virginia bluebells have done well, but they are still the original 3 plants i put in like 10 years ago. No seedlings, nothing. They are lovely, and i'd love to find a source to get some more, or a seed source to try and grow some. Ais, what do you do that they like? Mine are nearly done blooming. My foliage never sticks around too long- they're normally gone by june or so, i think. May just be they are drier than they'd like.

• Ralph Whisnant
    16 years ago

Tammy, 'Caradonna' is S. nemorosa. Grolink claims that 'Cardona' is a new hybrid, though I agree that these two look a lot alike.

• karen__w z7 NC
    16 years ago

Ralph, I think we talked about Fairy Queen at some point, but I probably need to go back through old posts and straighten myself out. I always get so confused by this point. I am interested in both Fairy Queen and the Cardona, though, and will enjoy getting a red coccinea back in the garden. Do you want either or both of the salvias I've got potted (puberala, 'Flame') or should I try to dig you some blepharophylla?

• tamelask
    16 years ago

Oops- sorry. Wonder if cardona has caradonna in its parentage? That would make sense, given the name and appearance.

Karen, is your puberula red, then? I have a pink one (i assume, as it's "rosebud"). Is yours hardy here? I was told that puberula isn't, but you seem able to push the zones...

• Ralph Whisnant
    16 years ago

Karen, is your 'Flame' S. greggii? Dave's Garden has several good pictures of it. There is a Flame Salvia in the Roof Garden and in the Scree Garden at the arboretum (JCRA) here in Raleigh. (Others Salvias in those gardens include 'Dianne, a pretty blue chamaedryoides, Christine Yeo, Dark Dancer, Pink Perfection, Teresa and an englemannii.) So, yes, I would love to have a start of Flame. And either of the other two you mentioned. Are you able to leave these latter two outside? I noticed in Betsy Clebsh's book on Salvia that she did not think them reliably hardy below 20F. By the way, I have been using a library copy of her book until this week when another volunteer at the arb brought in a bag of gardening books that she was planning on disposing of. As a result I now have my own copy of this book and one by John Sutton, "The Gardener's Guide to Growing Salvias".

• karen__w z7 NC
    16 years ago

Tammy, 'Flame' is a red greggii cultivar, sorry that was a little fuzzy the way I posted it. I lost the tag from my main clump of puberala years ago, but I think it's probably the El Butano form, which was a high elevation collection. Hence the hardiness. I've had it for years and have grown more and more slack about overwintering it. This year it didn't even get leaves thrown over the top but it's back right on schedule. I really like it because it blooms straight through our early Nov frosts without any damage, so I can make bouquets at Thanksgiving. There are a couple of other collections of puberala available, as well as several named versions/collections of the closely related S. involucrata. Both species are called Roseleaf or Rosebud sage with those busy taxonomists arguing about family relationships, but from what I've seen, puberala foliage is hairier and stickier. I've also got the Yucca Do collection of puberala, which has been hardy in my front bed in a more protected location. It has more elongated flower heads. The Bethellii form of involucrata has also been hardy for several years in my garden.

• karen__w z7 NC
    16 years ago

Ralph, I'll put your name on the Flame cutting. It's the truest red greggii I grow. I like the dark brown calyces -- on most of my other red greggiis the calyces are half charcoal, half green. Like I said, the cutting is small and got ignored over the winter, but it has top growth and decent roots. Given what I subjected it to this past winter, I can tell you that it's drought adapted! I do have puberula outside, and blepharophylla has been hardy and happy in a well drained, morning sun location under a tall pine tree. It's out there with the sinoalensis. I'll go see what I can dig up this evening, and I'll put your name on one of the puberulas I have potted up for the swap.

I don't have the most recent edition of Betsty Clebsh's book but need to remember to ask for it when I make my birthday list this year. John Sutton's is good, too, but remember that his climate is fairly different from ours when extrapolating hardiness information. I think our hot summer nights help us in growing and overwintering these plants.

• tamelask
    16 years ago

Karen, if the puberulas that you have potted up are the hardy ones, can you put my name on one? I have whatever i got from bb's- not sure what i did with the tag, but i don't think it's hardy. I love the form, but would definitely like to get away from having to overwinter it. What would you like in return? Sorry i misinterpreted your post earlier. A red puberula would be pretty! Ralph, next time i'm at the arb, i'll have to check out all those salvias. I love that rooftop garden.

• aisgecko
    16 years ago

Karen, you didn't get them from me. Maybe from Alicia? I got some from her a while back so she probably knows what they like. Mine JUST started coming up (I thought they were goners) so maybe there's still hope for yours.
    I'll bring the coral honeysuckle though. I've been spreading it around my yard so now I have tons, and it's lovely right now! I don't need anything in exchange, or you can just surprise me. I have so much going on this Saturday my brain is going to explode if I try and make a decision :-)

• elaine5678
    16 years ago

Hi again, I guess no one wants my 2 ivy "topiaries"! The leaves have 3 sharp-looking points. I have pics now that I can send if you're interested. I'll need to dig it up tomorrow if someone wants it. Just let me know. It won't break my heart to keep it!

I'll be at the swap on Saturday. See you there!
    -Elaine

• Ralph Whisnant
    16 years ago

Elaine, can I interest you in one of my Callisia fragrans (aka Basket Plant) for your red and white-flowered Thanksgiving cactus cuttings? I grow some of these outdoors in the summer, but they are perfectly happy indoors year-round. They look like Bromeliads, but are closely related to Tradescantia. I have one blooming now whose flowers did, briefly, smell a little like Hyacinths. Outdoors the foliage becomes an interesting mix of green and a sort of bronze color. Click on the link below to see pictures of these plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pictures of Callisia fragrans

• elaine5678
    16 years ago

Ralph, I got 2 basket plants from you at the fall swap and I LOVE THEM! I could take home another. I can take cuttings of the Christmas Cactus for you. I don't think I have any rooted right now. I have a small Dwarf Banana plant that I'm bringing. Would you want that as well (or instead)?

• alicia7b
    16 years ago

Va. bluebells like a reasonable amount of moisture. Not swampy conditions exactly, although I saw them growing right beside streams in PA. Since they go dormant right after flowering they don't need moisture for long.

Karen, I dug some rugosa alba suckers for you but I'll hold onto them, because as usual I didn't get a very long piece and I don't know if they'll make it. I have you down for Rosette Delizzy, Iris kochii, and the rugosa for this fall. I'm going to see if I can get any pieces of the Diane salvia from my MIL's. If not I'll bring that this fall too, unless you want cuttings now. Shari and Tammy, how about you? I know you were interested in that salvia.

Magick I have you down for azalea seedlings this fall.

Deborah my wintersweet is alive and healthy but needs to grow. However, I should be able to get cuttings from it this summer.

• karen__w z7 NC
    16 years ago

Alicia, fall is just fine, in fact better in that you'll tend to them rather than me if you don't mind. I think my parents are going to move up here from FL which means I'll be helping my dad move a large orchid collection later this year, and I don't want to overextend (more than I have already). Ralph, I got the blepharophylla potted and was surprised at how much easier it is to dig this time of year than in the fall, which is what I usually try. We can talk about the best site for it at the swap, as I tried several times before it settled in and stayed. Both you and Tammy have a puberula, and I'll try to dig another for the general swap. Tammy, what do I want? You pick, or we can wait until fall. Ais, I empathize with the exploding brain thing. But I went back and looked at the tag and it says "VA bluebells Ais". Maybe it was For Ais and not From Ais. If so, I apologize very delinquently for taking and killing your plant. But I would still love the coral honeysuckle.

• alicia7b
    16 years ago

LOL Karen I think you did take and kill one of Ais' plants. I thought I gave her 2 Va. bluebells one year.

• tamelask
    16 years ago

Alicia, fall is just fine for the dianne, but yes, i'm definitely interested.

Karen, i just dug your dehlia's sucker yest and it wasn't as well rooted as i'd hoped but does have some. I cut the stem back by half, potted it up and it seems ok. If you lose it i can always get you another. I'll look around and see what might interest you. I have a couple coral honeysuckle babies for you, too. So you'll be rolling in them!

I think my brain would explode if i didn't keep meticulous lists and check off every little thing.

• shari1332
    16 years ago

Alicia, I would like to try 'Diane' again and would be happy to wait. Maybe we could do a swap this summer for something.

OK here's my list-
    Alicia- Spacecoast Starburst daylily for iris Jesse's Song
    Karen- Georgia aster for epimediums
    Sally- Canna 'Panache' for Canna 'Musafolia'
    seeds for Dana- just so I don't forget

• Ralph Whisnant
    16 years ago

Elaine, I will have several Callisias with me if you would like another, though my experience with this plant suggests that the previous two soon produce enough new plants for all of your neighbors since the tips root so easily.
    If you have an area that gets morning sun, you might try a couple of Lobelia 'Blue Cascade' in a hanging basket. They do not like excessive heat and require frequent watering, but their pure blue color makes them worth the fuss if you have enough light to make them happy. I have a lot of them that I started from seed if you are interested. I can easily root the catcus if you bring cuttings. I am not sure if I have a place for the banana, but we can discuss it at the swap.

• karen__w z7 NC
    16 years ago

In the interest of my reputation and ensuring no one has to search my car at the end of the swap, I checked the old threads (thank goodness for the 'find on this page' function), and I was down for a VA bluebell from Alicia at the fall 2006 swap. And I only killed one, so now I don't feel quite so bad.

• blue_ivy
    16 years ago

Elaine, would you like some Wandering Jew? It makes such a great houseplant, totally non-fussy. (No trade necessary; I have some to share.)

Does anyone happen to have hops (Humulus lupulus)? Any form is fine - cutting, rhizome, seeds.... Or any recommendations on a good place to find some around here? Check out my trade page or tell me what you are interested in. Thanks!!

Looking forward to meeting you all Saturday!

• tophersmith
    16 years ago

Hello all sorry I've been away, I was not sure if I could make the swap and as it turns out my sons birthday party is the afternoon of the swap :(. I do have quite a few plants to swap if anyyone wishes to swing by the homestead. Please see my list if interested. I live of off Cary Prkwy by Holy Springs Rd. feel free to call 302 5193 if interested.

• tietie
    16 years ago

would anyone be interested in some rainbow pineapple or aloe. With lots of sun the pineapple leaves have pink centers. Due to the thorns I'll only divide if someone is interested.

I haven't updated my page since last spring but everything should be the same except I am looking for some thyme.

Please, please, please email me directly if you want to trade, I don't want to miss your post.

• alicia7b
    16 years ago

Karen no one was going to blame you LOL. I figured I gave it to you by mistake.

I had to move my Va. bluebells last year and I don't think they're going to bloom this year. But they have a healthy crop of leaves. Karen and Ais if you mulch yours a little bit they should be happy and bloom next year. I'm trying to grow some from seed this year -- hope that works out.

• alicia7b
    16 years ago

Actually I feel better too knowing I didn't give a plant to a person it wasn't intended for. :)

• trianglejohn
    16 years ago

Karen - that is the funniest thing posted so far concerning plant swaps! I constantly get asked to write articles about plant swaps and that issue will have to find its way into my next piece!! Along with people bringing back swappings that never got planted, from years ago, still in the original container,, still looking for a forever home...

Tietie - I want nothing but I have plenty of Thyme. Now I just have to remember to bring it.

I have so much stuff to bring. I'm ashamed I ever stated that we shouldn't use this swap as a dumping ground to relieve ourselves from the burden of watering during the drought. I'm afraid I will come off as a big hypocrite. None the less - lots of stuff is coming to the swap.

Oh, and my neighbor wants anything purple or hummingbird attracting....

• shari1332
    16 years ago

Well I'm glad you have lots to bring John. I don't have nearly as much as I have in the past so now I can stop feeling guilty. If I was at home right now and able to dig it would be different. I guess I could bring back some swappings...no, that's another thing I would feel guilty about.

• tietie
    16 years ago

oh, and I'm up to my eyeballs in monarda 'cambridge scarlet' and also have salvia uliginosa.

• alicia7b
    16 years ago

Does anyone want green hawthorn? I have a bunch of seedlings. Nancy I think you wanted some. These like it wet.

• aisgecko
    16 years ago

Alicia and Karen, you can both rest easy. I got both my virginia bluebells that year so it must be that she got mine and I got hers so it all evened out :-)
    John, it's not like anyone ever complains that there's just too many plants at those swaps. Dump away! I can always water in plants from my ponds and after they are established they fend for themselves anyways if the drought repeats itself.
    I am bringing a little less this year too, or at least smaller plants. I didn't lose that much from the drought but a lot of my stuff didn't grow or shrank so I'm not dividing it.
    I'm looking forward to Saturday!

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey Karen I don't have you down for anything yet, what would you like?

• Hollyclyff
    16 years ago

Is anyone bringing a very low growing variety of thyme - the kind that only grows a couple of inches tall?

• shari1332
    16 years ago

Dana, I have some thyme that reseeds for me that stays pretty low. I've had it a long time and don't know exactly what variety it is. I was planning on bringing some anyway so I'll put you and Tanya some aside.

• tamelask
    16 years ago

Dana, i'll see if i can get another chunk of caraway thyme, since i'm digging it for somebody else, too. Nice pink flowers in spring.

I'm not bringing near as much general swap stuff as for past swaps simple because i've been so busy and haven't had time to dig. Plus, i don't think stuff has grown, seeded around, etc as much w/ the drought.

out of curiousity- what time do you think y'all will plan to get there for special swaps? I was thinking like 12:30, but wasn't sure... Will bring the flags again. If you took yours and can remember to bring it back, great.

• Hollyclyff
    16 years ago

Shari and Tammy - Thanks, what would you like in return?

• aisgecko
    16 years ago

I can't get there before 1:00 and have to leave right afterwards. I hate to grab and run, but it's a crazy busy day for us and everything I have going on is important. Not as important as the swap, of course! -Ais.

• shari1332
    16 years ago

Dana, no trade just wanted to make sure you got it.

• karen__w z7 NC
    16 years ago

Ais, thank you for your support. BTW, I saw you had hellebores on your wish list. I've got a few little seedlings from one of my H. niger 'Nell Lewis strain' if you'd be interested. It's supposed to be a vigorous strain of H. niger, originating in Greensboro.

Root, the Gollum is small so I would feel bad about asking for a trade. I figure it all evens out in the end. And if not, we can settle up when we're 80.

John, I would never, ever, ever, never return something to the swap without repotting it first. Anybody who recalls a particular yogurt brand container should rest assured that it's only the container that's been recycled. If this doesn't sound legit, then I've got work to do tomorrow.

• tamelask
    16 years ago

LOL Karen! Too funny! Is that like the regifting rule that you need to rewrap it? :) I looked around and tried to guess what you might like to even us up a little. I have a senecio that's a succulent called hot dog plant, not hardy, and a little houseplant that has adorable bulbs with freckled leaves, used to be scilla violacea, now it's a manfredia, i think. I also have some walking iris pups i could pot up, a pot of variegated french lavendar, which is ratty but will fill out nicely this summer, but isn't hardy, and some of that ornamental red leafed yellow flowered oxalis. Also, i could bring one of my pots of the puberula that i got at bb's, which i found the tag for that said z8, and is just labelled rosebud sage, if you'd like. BTW, I lost that cool sage that looked like a variegated koyame but plan to get more when i get down to bb's.

Dana no worries- it's a really small start. The dirt's gotten hard & dry again, just like that. If it's happy it'll take off and go, though. I've had mine for oh, about 14 years.

Deb, Karen & Alicia. I feel awful having to report this, but i was digging up those small rosette delizy starts and not a one of them had rooted for real. Dad gummed things really fooled me- they were stuck in but good and had new growth, but no real roots. So i went ahead and got them out of the ground and into little pots. They were well healed, nice & bumpy, and looked to be beginning the rooting process. I can either bring them and you can see if they'll root, or I can keep them here with plans to bring them come fall. Your choice- just let me know what you want me to do and if you want something else. The mother bush is getting ready to bloom and not really big, so i hate to do cuttings now. They supposedly do much better if taken after the first flush anyhow, so i may attempt to root more after that in june.

• keithrnjd
    16 years ago

I may not get there until 1:30 or a little later. I have a bike ride in Clayton Sat. morning that's going off at 9:00. It should take a couple of hours. I will stagger in after a shower and chicken pickup!

Sally

• alicia7b
    16 years ago

Tammy, that's fine, we can hold off on the RD until fall.

• karen__w z7 NC
    16 years ago

Tammy, I can wait until fall for the RD as well. I'd love some of that red oxalis though, I always end up buying it and forget to bring any inside when it gets cold. And I'd love to take the variegated lavender and a bit of that Senecio off your hands too.

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Tammy I can wait, no problem. Should have your Motherwort by then. It just dawned on me that you and I have no swaps going on this time. Durn that's a 1st, lol...

• aisgecko
    16 years ago

Karen, I'd like some H. niger seedlings. Is that for the coral honeysuckle or would you like something else, since Tammy is bringing you some?

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery