SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bluebirdbabe

emergency tdog someone help

bluebirdbabe
16 years ago

I knew my last monarch was coming out this morning. I had to go away for 2 hours and when I came home sure enough the butterfly was out. I looked and something was not right. The butterfly was hanging from his antenea (SP i know) I mean the antena was stuck in the chrysalis and he was hanging. He pooped all his stuff out so I took the chrysalis down with him hanging and I took a wet q-tip and gently brushed his antenea and they came out. Next problem, his legs were closed and up against his body. I took my finger and pulled his legs out so he could stand, but he just fell over. I kept trying and he kept falling. I put him in the freezer for 3 minutes, I couldn't do it so I took him back out, warmed him up and I fed him. He ate alot or at least I think he did.

His little "straw" (sorry) came out and he put it on the q-tip with sugar water and left it there for a while. I took the q-tip away and the straw came back out so I gave him some more. I picked him up by the wings and I got his legs out and kinda pulled them with my finger (I had his legs on my finger and I gently pulled my finger back so it would straighten his legs out)I have been working with his legs for an hour and he is able to stand. He is now flapping his wings.

What I would like to know is if I did the right thing in saving him. I have been raising bufferflies for 3 years. I have never had one fall or get stuck coming out of the chrysalis, his body has good markings (white stripes) so I don't know/think he has OE.

I couldn't do it, I mean the freezer thing. But if everyone thinks I should put him back in.....I will :(

He is a little fighter. I pick him up every few minutes to get his legs going and he seems to be getting stronger. He is standing all by himself.

Feed back PLEASE.

Thanks,

Karen

Comments (10)

Sponsored
River Mill Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Delaware County's Customer Focused General Contractor