SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
desertstar_gw

Summer dormant succulents - VERY confused - please help!

desertstar
12 years ago

Hello all.

First, though I've been a quite avid reader of these forums, I haven't posted before this, so bear with me if you can. Second - only so that this might help someone in giving me any pertinent info - because I live in the Chicago area with only a northeast balcony (with overhang) for outdoor growing space, all my cacti/succulents are container grown indoors - with access to windows in all four directions. Third, while I've been pretty successful in the past with foliage plants and small outdoor gardens, the realm of cacti/succulents is a relatively new venture for me.

Okay, here's my situation. In slowly building up my collection since February, in addition to the many winter dormant types, I've managed to procure six supposedly summer dormant types plus a few sansevierias.

Specifically, aeonium pseudo tabulaeforme, aeonium undulatum, gollum jade crassula, graptoveria, kalanchoe thyrsiflora, and peperomia ferreyrae, anacampseros telephiastrum variegata/sunrise. (please excuse typos/wrong spellings)

Now, I've done lots of reading on this forum and elsewhere regarding summer dormant types, but between discrepancies I find in the info and how mine are behaving I really, really am confused. For one thing, the sansevierias - most sites say summer dormant, until I come across specialty sites that say the opposite. Anyway, as usual, all sites say when dormant water little, no fertilizing, etc. So, so far I've only watered, and when thoroughly dry.

But...with the exception of my gollum jade, all other above mentioned succulents are growing like wildfire - some even flowering! And the jade is growing, though more slowly. Because of this, I don't know how I should actually be treating them? To water more - or not? To fertilize now - or in their supposedly actual growing season?

Lastly, when it comes to dormancy for all cactus and succulent types, how is this affected if you grow indoors and summers are air conditioned, while fall/winter is heated - in other words when plants are pretty much kept at a fairly constant temperature? I haven't been able to find much on the web about that, but instead about bringing outdoor plants in, etc.

Any/all help anyone would like to give on these specific plants and situations will be much appreciated, as well as more generic info regarding this subject. Thanks, in advance, for any attention given to this.

Comments (3)