SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mary_littlerock_ar

9 mature Monarch Cats - 2 new hatchlings

Mary Leek
10 years ago

I was gifted with 9 Monarch eggs that are beginning to pupate, three lovely green chrysalides and two in the J so far.

While washing fresh MW for them three days ago, I discovered two more tiny eggs. If these two mature, it will be 11 more Monarchs heading toward Mexico.

I searched all the milkweed, but if there were more 'recent' eggs, I couldn't find them. It's a pretty slim count so far this year but happy to have been able to raise these little guys.

I'm really dismayed by the spotty sightings reported on this forum. I hope next year the spring weather is normal, all of our MW plantings come up on time and the remaining Monarchs have a successful journey north.

On a more positive note, I've had gads of Pipevine, Black Swallowtail, Giant Swallowtail, two generations of Spicebush and many other assorted little visitors, plus many Eastern Tiger's visiting every day. We must have their host growing somewhere nearby as they were abundant all summer. If only the Monarchs had been able to participate! :-(

Mary

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths