SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
trianglejohn

HAVE: Raleigh Spring Swap 2007

trianglejohn
17 years ago

Ok gardeners, we've got some changes coming this year. As many of you know I will be selling plants this spring at the Wake Forest Farmers Market on Saturday mornings. So for the spring swap I need to know how many people care if we move it until the afternoon (1-3 or 2-4 or later?), or move it to Sunday's. Post your input here. Can't wait to see everybody and to see your trades!

Comments (97)

• amyflora
    17 years ago

Here we are!! I will change my day off at BB, and will bring some kind of goodies to eat, and any plants I can divide and bring. I can't wait to meet all you wonderful and silly folks. Gardener = silly?

• tamelask
    17 years ago

well, for this crowd it does. no boring meetings for us! :)
    if you desire, you'll want to post your wants & haves on the other thread(brenda's) in here to set up special swaps. i can bring the seeds i mentioned over on the regular forum to the swap for you. can't wait to meet you- tammy

• Related Discussions

HAVE: Trades for Raleigh Spring 2013 Swap

Q

Comments (112)
    countrygirl and judy - could i have a little gus b too?? I hope you find something that you do not have to take from me. i can probably take a few smaller pots off your hands. tamelask I have some bamboo(not sure what kind yet) and/or I can bring you some red dianthus slips for the alstromeria Laura I have the tall white phlox pulled for you. thank you for the wood spurge. Ratgirl I looked and I have a several hostas. what do you already have? see you all tomorrow.
    ...See More

HAVE: 2011 Raleigh Spring Swap

Q

Comments (28)
    Bringing some very common stuff but at least not empty handed! Vinca major-a six pack Lambs Ear-six pack Cluster bell flower-six pack Ligustrum Variegated forsythia Catnip Bugle weed Red monarda A purple and white columbine (with volunteer morning glory) perennial begonia, Jack in the pulpit (green) Pink ice plant (volunteer bee balm) Some containers plants came in assorted sizes House plants- African violets,rooted prayer plant,golden pothos-rooted not potted Have if wanted but not potted up,black eyed susans Irises,old fashion mum-booms white fades to pink,baby nandina seedlings,oxalis-green with pink flowers,burgandy with white,burgandy with pale pink,green with white,false solomons seal,Purple heart,pachysandra,mondo grass,sedum-plain and variegated Also, bringing daughter and 10 month old puppy,would consider a swap for puppy for the right plant :)
    ...See More

HAVE: Food List for Raleigh Spring Swap 2013

Q

Comments (6)
    Thanks Judy, but what will everyone else be eating? Just kidding. I'll share (maybe a little). I'm not sure what I'll bring but I'll also bring an ice chest with some ice.
    ...See More

HAVE: Raleigh Fall Swap 2007

Q

Comments (11)
    Hi TriangleJohn, I'm hoping to come to the plant swap on Saturday. I've never been to one, so I'm excited!! I'm limited to houseplants only right now... (townhouse with almost no yard) are there usually as many houseplants as outside plants? Also, about how many plants should I bring?... as many as I want to? Ha ha! Thanks for your help! -Lainey
    ...See More
  • trianglejohn
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Seems to me that we could solve sooooo many problems if we just moved the swap to the parking lot at BB's in Sanford.

Run that by John F and let us know what he thinks.

• tamelask
    17 years ago

have them close down and cater just to us! (otherwise we'd just annoy the other customers. i'm sure we'd make up enough for them in sales) gosh, what a party that'd be!! :) tam

• dellare
    17 years ago

I would be happy to mention that to John F. I would certainly be very happy indeed it the sale were there. I unfortunately always feel too responsible to take the day off since it is our busiest time of the year and have missed the swaps since I started working there. Though I think I remember some people wanting the swap closer to the north of Raleigh to make it easier for other folk to come. Discuss amongst yourselves and I will check back to see what you guys decide. John F. is probably the next nicest John you could meet ha besides our "fearless leader". Adele

• tamelask
    17 years ago

well, i was being sorta tongue in cheek, but it WOULD be fun...

• dellare
    17 years ago

Yeh Tammy, I thought both you and John were kidding but I thought I would throw it out there selfishly and see what happens. I see Amy is planning on going she will have a blast. I might just have her bring along a couple of special trades for me if I can get it together long enough to make a list. Adele

• tamelask
    17 years ago

oh adele, i hate that you can't come. it's been so long since we've seen you. can't you get off this time, either? : (
    i guess at least we get to see you at bb's.

• dirtrx
    17 years ago

Is there a park near BB? It may too late for this swap but in the fall!!!!!Shannon who is going to BB tomorrow!!!!

• blossom_in_the_sun
    17 years ago

When does the food thread start?

I missed the fall swap, but loving that I can make it to the spring!

I will have lots of foxglove.

I need to thin my Iris some and don't have areas ready for planting.
    Should or could I bring them bare root? or just wait until fall, most are blues and yellows.

• tamelask
    17 years ago

bring them in whatever shape you have them in. noone will care. just try to label them with the color and name if you have it. foxglove- yay!
    food thread should be starting soon over on conversations side. seems like it's normally about a month prior.

• dirtrx
    17 years ago

Just in case...Tramway Elementary School happens to right across from well ...let's just say it is in Sanford ;>

Adelle- Thanks you so much for your help. I enjoyed my time there. I also really appreciated Robin's help. Everything was beautiful and healthy.

Ralph- my MIL would appreciate any of the butterflyweeds. She is trying to make a butterfly garden. Her problem is the deer. So I picked her up a salvia and an agastache. (Okay, I admit, I got her ones from which I plan to make cuttings from as soon as they are big enough.)I'll chaeck you list to see if I can start something for you. I plan on spring sowing this weekend. Shannon

• brenda_near_eno
    17 years ago

Adele, we miss you.

• bmaxx
    17 years ago

Nancedar - What kind of flower bulbs are you looking for??

Looking forward to the swap! I'm still thinking about what I might be able to dig up and divide!

• alicia7b
    17 years ago

Tammy,
    I missed out on the Veilchenblau cuttings at the fall swap. What are you looking for this spring?

• alicia7b
    17 years ago

Dang, put that on the wrong thread.

• tamelask
    17 years ago

no problem, alicia, we can transfer it over. yes, you missed your cuttings- you were gone by the time i got around to distributing my cuttings bucket. no worries about bringing me something- i still owe you the cuttings! :) i'll post this on the other thread, too. tam

• brenda_near_eno
    17 years ago

Confederate rose anyone? Need it. Also lost the variegated plectranthus that I brought many cuttings to last swap - anyone have a cutting to trade back to me? John, none of my namby seeds sprouted yet - want to get two from Cistus and split shipping?

• trianglejohn
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Brenda - this year I am digging up my massive Confed Rose and planting it at the fairgrounds (and then bringing it back home after the fair). I have tried to root cuttings and never had any success so when I dig and chop the big mama, if say, a side shoot should decide its time to make a break for freedom I will surely pot it up for you BUT I doubt it will happen by swap time. But I know how to get ahold of you.

I have some plect's. I'm not sure if I have the ones your talking about. I've got my silver leaved one and some of your silver leaved one (very tolerant of my cool hoophouse over the winter I might add). I've got a mostly yellow variegated one that looks like 'Gold Coin'. And I have the larger leaved variegated one that Ralph brought to last years swap.

I am not giving up on my seeds - I just noticed some Siberian Iris seeds have sprouted and I planted them last November!! But I will get with you about an order from Cistus (partly because I like to support micro-nurseries and partly because they have some stuff I would love to try).

• MagickMare
    17 years ago

John,
    I've read alot of your posts (been lurking for a month or so) and was wondering if you have/will be bringing any artichokes to the Spring Exchange. I cannot believe they really grow here!!! (Silly me - I've been payin' $2 each in the stores)

Thanks,
    Tammy
    Apex, NC

• hightider
    17 years ago

john itake stem cuttings about eighteen to twenty four inches long and root them in water they develope a good root system

• ArborBluffGirl
    17 years ago

I just moved to Apex from the Laurel Mountains in central PA at the end of last year. I would love to attend the swap. I will post closer to the event what I can bring to trade. Looking forward to meeting everyone ~ Shari aka Arborbluffgirl

• nancyofnc
    17 years ago

bmaxx - any white lilies, pretty daylilies (thanks to rootdigger I have some gorgeous purple and grape DL's), any bulb that is yellow flowering, including the elusive bright yellow iris, since I think I have every other iris color but that.

All - I gave out a bunch of orange-red Asiatic Lily babies at a couple of swaps - would love to know if anybody kept them going and if they bloomed?

I divided a pretty lavender-flushed-pink native Geranium (Crane's Bill) for shade to trade. Looking for another color too.

brenda_near_eno - rain lilies yes please - what do you need?

Nancy the nancedar

• rootdiggernc
    17 years ago

Nance, did you give me some? If so they must be out there somewhere! Some things didn't bloom last year, but I don't think I've lost anything.

• tamelask
    17 years ago

nan- i think i have some yellow iris i can share. i have regular beardeds and i think i have enough of a siberian yellow. just don't sue me if the beards don't turn out to be yellow, because i'm bad about labels. let me know if you want to take the chance (heh heh). i have a bunch of dayliles, but they are badly labelled, and are old fashioned varieties. best i could do would be to guess and give you a color. i know you don't like pink, but i don't have many pinks anyhow since i don't like it either. i have scads of a nice widish apricot one that blooms fairly early. and i'm pretty sure i can find some hyperion, which are tall, yellow & bloom late. let me know...

magik- this isn't the best time to get artichockes going. they prefer the cool weather and do 100 % better getting established through the fall & winter so you'll do a lot better getting some come fall. we do a fall swap, too. campbell road nursery sells the plants if you don't end up being able to swap. oh, and generally you can artichokes a lot cheaper at the asian groceries. oour whole fam loves them, so we only get them when they're cheap. it'll be nice to meet you and arborbluffgirl- i'm from PA, too (1 hr north of pittsburgh for me). tammy

• MagickMare
    17 years ago

Tam - Seems great minds are named alike :)
    I'm a complete newbie, but I'm slowly trying to take my boring 1.7 acre yard from having just foundation plantings & an azalea or three, to a living entity. Nice sunny front yard & a great woodland setting in the back. I have lots of room to play & with the help of these forums, I'm getting some great ideas. I'm looking forward to meeting everyone at the swap. I'll be checking this thread for the final date, time & place info.

Thanx!!!

• cutternumber
    17 years ago

magick, I am in a similar situation to you, except that my front yard doesn't have as much sun as I like (can I grow asparagus on the roof of my house somehow?!). I'm very new at gardening so I don't know if I'll have anything to offer besides chocolate kaluha cookies and some of my sister's rice paper plant....but I'd love to see the fun.

• MagickMare
    17 years ago

Did you say chocolate kaluha?!?!?! Now if only I could grow THAT!!
    I've been begging my DH to cut even more front yard trees to let in more light for an edible-ly landscaped front yard.

• tamelask
    17 years ago

oooh- magick, we're more alike than you realize. edible landscaping is a passion of mine. what i have of sun is in my front yard too. my back is semi-wooded, also, but i don't have near as much land (ours is .66 acre). we've been thinning trees in the back to let in a bit more sun so i have more room for edibles & others. our yard started in much the same situ- boring boring boring, and i have enjoyed carving out my niche. let's talk! :)

cutternumber, i've tried asparagus without enough sun and it just does't work. it grows but only sporadically, and you don't get enough to harvest- only tease. but people do have rooftop gardens... maybe if you have a flat roof! i've always thought those were cool as can be. check the arboretum's sometime. chocolate kahlua sounds DIVINE. bring em on! and heck, i want some rice paper plant anyhoo- for some reason i've had trouble getting it going. thanks, tam

• rootdiggernc
    17 years ago

OMG! Chocolate Kahlua cookies? OK John, drop the cookie(s) and you won't get hurt! I can see the fight now, lol....

Magick, I like the edible landscaping too and have dibs and dabs of things scattered around. Lots to choose from and some will take less than full sun. Tammy is very knowledgeable on that topic.

• tamelask
    17 years ago

magick- ck the other thread started by brenda that has special trades. i was asking if there was anything in particular you were looking for- i have scads of berry plants i can bring to share. no trade needed- i like helping get new ed landscapers get going. root & i have swapped stuff back & forth a while now.

• MagickMare
    17 years ago

Yippee!!! The chainsaw is making it's spring debut this weekend. Hoping to clear out some "scrap" pines & misc. vines to make way for a nice cherry tree & a berry patch. I'll be focusing on the sunny/semi-sunny front yard this year, and the semi-shady woodland backyard/farmyard (we have dogs, rabbits, and soon to have chickens) next year.

Here is a link that might be useful: Magick's Trade Page

• rootdiggernc
    17 years ago

Cutter, if you and any other newbies will stop over at the other swap thread and let us know what you're looking for the swap zombies around here generally love to help out. We live to help create new addicts! :)

• tamelask
    17 years ago

magick, i can bring you some kiwi cuttings, a black rasp, wineberry and a red rasp. if you have a neat variegated or blue hosta, i'm game for a trade, but otherwise no worries. i'd recommend doing a northstar cherry- they are the only ones that do ok here. you could try a different one in a container. there was a thread about this over on the main board this spring.

root is sooo right- we love you newbies so we can pawn off all the extras we have *insert wild cackle here*. the more addicted we all become, the more we all share. we are such bad enablers. besides, you guys always bring new good food, too.

• amyflora
    17 years ago

I just almost laughed myself off my chair at the mention of the exchange happening at BB. Gail would NOT like that. But it would be mighty convenient. Y'all let me know if you need me to pick up anything from over this-a-way!!! I can't wait!

• MagickMare
    17 years ago

Tam - I do happen to have extra variegated hostas (I LOVE variegated plants)! The kiwi & raspberries sound great. I'll look into the Northstar cherries. Do they come in Dwarfs?

I'll have a TON of orange daylilies, if anyone is interested, also some azaleas, some yellow iris, red tulips & a canna or two.

• tamelask
    17 years ago

northstar is a dwarf sour cherry, and self pollinating. home depot and lowe's often carry them, and if not, you should be able to find them at one of the nurseries around. i posted a question for you on the other thread about your peony. and your hostas, but you just answered that! :) thanks! tam

• cutternumber
    17 years ago

you guys are so welcoming! (eek, I guess I HAVE to make cookies now). I will head over to the other swap thread...

• amyflora
    17 years ago

Dirtrx,
    Is there anything I have that you would want to trade for some of your Delphinium yunnanensis 'Blue Bouquet'?
    Thanks,
    amyflora

• aisgecko
    17 years ago

dtpforu, the ginko I'm bringing you is pretty small. Is there anything else you want with it? 2 plants for one doesn't seem quite fair :-) -Ais.

• ArborBluffGirl
    17 years ago

I am planning on bringing the following to the swap:

dwarf red anthurium (1), orchid I am trying to id (1) stella d'oro (2), caryopteris (1 gallon), trycirtis formosana (1 or 2 plants)
    wholly thyme, star jasmine vine start (if interested let me know and I can bring boat loads, clematis vine (trying to id) any takers on liriope grass?, unknown mums

Special trades: crossvine (good size) twin leaf (1) reed stem orchid starts

Seedings: polemonium brandegei, amsonia tabernaemontana

I am still trying to get a grip on my property, ie moisture, sun etc, but it I know I want lavendar, purple salvia, and other full sun perennials.

~Shari

• mad_about_mickey
    17 years ago

Arborbluff girl- Would be interested in the liriope. Have-hollyhock, cardinal climber vine, black eyed susan vine, scarlet runner beans, cannas-dif colors-,tomatoes-roma and mortgage lifter.Have forsythia also.

• Ralph Whisnant
    17 years ago

---Mad about mickey, would you be interested in trading Black-eyed Susan vine and Cardinal vine for Brugs. I have both white and apricot (Charles Grimaldi) in one gallon pots. In fact, I have several white ones in 10-gal pots that I would like to find a home for, if anyone can transport them?
    ---Arborbluff girl, I would like some of the Polemonium seedlings and am interested in the reed stem orchid - I have lots of hardy, full sun perennials listed in my Trade List. I suggest Monarda 'Jacob Kline' and Salvia 'Argentine Skies' for your consideration, but choose whatever you like.

• rootdiggernc
    17 years ago

Ralph, I'd love a white brug if you have enough. What can I bring you?

• tamelask
    17 years ago

arborbluff girl- did i read twinleaf correctly- as in jeffersonia? i'd love it- take your pick of what i have. i have lots of stuff not on my list- if there's something in particular you're hankering after, ask, because i may have it. just let me know- thanks, tammy

• Ralph Whisnant
    17 years ago

Deb, did you want the white Brug in the really large (7gal?) pot or the year old rooted cuttings (or you can have both)? I would like any of the following from your list. Orange Crocomia, wall flower, Mexican Evening Primrose & Lamium. If you want anything more from my list, let me know.

• rootdiggernc
    17 years ago

Ralph, I don't know if I can fit the 7 gal in my car so better go with the 1 year old. I have the Armenian cuke seeds, crocosmia, wallflowers, and evening primrose set out for you. Thanks!

• ArborBluffGirl
    17 years ago

It was nice to meet everyone at the swap today! I wanted to apologize for "grabbing the plants and running" once the swap was over. This was my first swap and I didn't allocate enough time for trading and socializing. My husband and children were chaffing at the bit for my return as we had plans this afternoon. Barring any unforseen problems I will be around in the fall with my plants ready and marked. Thanks again for the wonderful plants.

• tamelask
    17 years ago

it was nice to meet you too, arbor. thanks again for the twinleaf. plan to bring the hubby & kids next time. there's always lots of 'plant widow(er)s" & minors around to keep each other company! :) tammy

• cutternumber
    17 years ago

Thank you to all of you guys for making the swap so generous and fun. I am very excited to have something to grow in my new garden besides the "giant clods of red clay" crop that has been doing so well this year. This fall I'll dig up some more of my bloodroot to bring & also some euphorbia.

Sorry Toffee tried to climb on the picnic table to help herself....

Sponsored