SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jgengler_gw

New VFT and Darlingtonia californica

jgengler
18 years ago

After having browsed this forum for the past few days (and getting bored with african violets), I was compelled to buy a couple CPs. Since it is winter here (in Michigan), and I lived only 1 mile from Lowes, I bought the plants there. Not the best choice, I know, but I didn't want to wait for them to come in the mail.

Anyway, I have read all the posts regarding proper soils, watering, lighting, etc. Still, my questions are these:

1.) Since the VFT (and darlingtonia too?) requires a winter dormancy, and I am sure it was not able to go dormant given its coming from Lowes, should I attempt to induce dormancy now or, since it will soon be spring, just skip this step and acclimate it (to humidity, etc.) like normal? I can't imagine inducing dormancy now would be recommended, but I thought I would ask.

2.) I have both plants in a pure LFS medium. I have seen posts that say this is fine, and some that recommend 50% peat / 50% perlite. Others say either will work. Should I bother re-potting them (again)?

3.) Since I have had it, my (common) VFT has eaten an ant. I didn't know whether I should try to stop it from feeding in the near future since it is probably still somewhat in shock from the new conditions (plus it's supposed to be in winter dormancy anyway). Either way, when I bought it, almost all of its (10 or so) traps were closed, and they've since opened. I take it this is a good sign, no? I have left the plastic covers over each of the plants (it has been cloudy/rainy here lately so they won't cook).

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert