SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aloe_fan

Need more instruction; can you help?

aloe_fan
13 years ago

Hello,

I have read nearly everything in the archives that I could find regarding winterizing your plants indoors. Maybe it would be good to add the plants that I grow and find out what you recommend. This is really the first season that my collection has grown beyond the bounds of crassula. That being said here is what I am growing:

Aloe Nobilis

Aloe Ramosissima

Aloe Glauca

Aloe Claviflora

Aloe Sladeniana

Aloe Distans

Aloe Suprafoliata

Agave V. Minima

Agave Vic. Reginae Compacta

Agave Titanota

Crassula are no problem here in Southern Missouri, but here is my question. Based on the forum, starting in October can I just bring them into a cold room (roughly 40 degrees and at times in the 30' for a spell) and leave them with no water until spring? My only fear here is the feeder roots will die back and come spring my plants will rot. Is this really worth worrying over? Can you water the plants a bit in winter to avoid feeder root loss? Please let me know what your thoughts are.

Thanks!

On another note, I am growing Aloe Polyphylla seedlings that I sowed myself. Do you have any special notes for the tiny seedlings this winter? How I wish the wife and I lived in another more hospitable climate for growing these beautiful plants. Hey X, do you have any advice for me; I have been reading that you grow A. Polyphylla in New York? Thanks everyone.

B.

Comments (9)