SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
talierussell

What's wrong with my new cactus? Is this rot? :O

TalieRussell
9 years ago

Good morning!

My mother gave me this cactus this afternoon, and it's now looks completely different to what it did earlier. It's about 10 years old, and I think in that 10 years it's only been re potted once. When I got it, one side of the cactus leaning over to one side and that side was covered with 12 babies (all about a inch each) at the base.

I re-potted it into a bigger pot, and some how my sisters convinced me to twist the babies off. The babies are now laying down waiting for them to dry out before I pot them.

Problem is i'm concerned about the discolored patch at the base where the babies once were. I kind of hastily cut off some of the area which was tinged slightly orange/ light brown, but I don't actually know if it's a problem or not. Is this something to be concerned about?
I've never owned a cactus before so I don't know what to expect, also, if this is normal how long will it take for it to turn back into a healthy color and shape?

Thank you!

Edit: This is my first post and I tried to add a picture but it seems it's not coming up.. please bare with me while I try figure this out :D

This post was edited by TalieRussell on Sat, May 24, 14 at 20:54

Comments (8)