SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ohmiah

Strange Kalanchoe blossfeldiana leaves?

ohmiah
14 years ago

A few years ago my mom picked up an etiolated Kalanchoe blossfeldiana from a local nursery. At that point it had rounded green leaves. That winter I didn't pay much attention to it and it dropped most of its leaves, leaving about a foot of bare stem with little clusters of leaves at the top. At the leaf axils it had grown adventitious roots like crazy, so the following spring I buried it to its leaves and set it on my back porch in IL. I didn't think it would survive, although I didn't much care for it was such an ugly specimen, but it exploded with growth. These new leaves were serrated with green tops and purple undersides, however. When I came to Nashville for school I left the mother plant but brought a cutting with me. The leaves of the cutting have shown both rounded and serrated leaves, as well as leaves that curve sharply (almost making a letter C) and leaves that curl (like mother-in-law's tongue). Recently it even put out a pair of leaves with indentions resembling a mitten. The leaves of the cutting have thin stripes of red along the edge, barely noticeable.

Long story short, has anyone ever seen strange leaf behavior in Kalanchoe blossfeldiana? Could it be caused by light intensity or do I just have a mutant plant?

Comments (7)