SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ddobro2

Plants dying - Dollorama potting soil or something else?

ddobro2
11 years ago

Hello all,

I'm a newbie and I am seeking some opinions about the following scenario. In mid- to late- summer I acquired two pots of ground cherries, about 12 inches in height. They were both very healthy and producing ground cherries. I kept them on the windowsill here in Montreal where I live.

I then decided to transplant one of them into a larger pot to see how it would do. I used potting soil from Dollarama to do this. The new pot I put it in was too large and heavy to be safely kept on the windowsill so I put it on a bookshelf that is maybe 5 or 6 feet from a window that faces another apartment building and gets some light but not as much as the other two windows in the apartment (but does have the advantage of a desk directly in front of it on which plants can sit).

I also put a pot of Cuban oregano there. I was told that the Cuban oregano doesn't need to get that much light and does fine indoors in the winter. So I noticed that the groundcherry plant was wilting and having yellow leaves and the Cuban oregano (which was healthy before although leggy and leaning to one side) was getting a brown woody stem creeping up from the bottom and yellowing leaves. The Cuban oregano was not transplanted and had the original soil.

I decided at this point it was due to lack of sun so I put them on the desk in front of the window. This did not ameliorate the situation - they have both continued to do poorly. The ground cherries look completely dead whereas the other pot (although, it is in a sunnier window) is green and healthy. As far as the Cuban oregano, I decided to save some of it by taking cuttings and putting into water to root (hasn't yet) so there is just the brown stump of a stem left. When watering the ground cherries, I noticed that the potting soil from Dollarama takes very long for the water to soak in compared to the other pots I have. It pools there and sits for several seconds which I know must not be good. I also don't think the groundcherries are shutting down for the winter because the other pot is doing great, like I said.

Dear Gardenwebers - is the quality of the Dollarama potting soil contributing to these problems or what is the reason for these sick plants?

Thanks!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting