SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
molanic

How late in season for laying eggs?

molanic
10 years ago

This spring and summer was pretty bad for butterflies around here. There were a couple of monarchs back in June that probably laid eggs, but I wasn't able to put the time in to raise any at that time. Then we had pretty much mostly just cabbage whites until this past week. Now there are some monarchs, tiger swallowtails, and black swallowtails. I even had a couple of red-spotted purples which is a first for me. The tigers and the monarchs appear to be courting now. I would like to try and raise at least something this year. I feel bad not doing the monarchs earlier, but it just wasn't doable.

Is it too late for egg laying here in northern Illinois? I can't remember how late the monarchs laid eggs in past years. I was trying to figure out what time frame I should be using to look for eggs for various species. Some like the tiger swallowtail and red-spotted purple I have never raised before but now have some host plants for and would like to try.

In searching my books and online I can find reference to flight periods, number of broods per season, what form they may overwinter as, and length of time from egg to adult. I'm not sure though how that all changes based on location. How do you know what species will lay eggs in YOUR area late in the season, or if they will even overwinter there at all. Is there some online reference to this, or am I missing something? Just wondering if I am wasting my time checking for eggs for some of these species now.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio