SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zioviche

Newbie questions on Painted Lady Butterfly kit

viche
14 years ago

We purchased the Insect Lore Butterfly Pavilion and we are in the butterfly stage. 8 of the 10 chrysalis(s?) emerged as perfect butterflies. The wings of one stayed crumpled and another despite wiggling, never emerged.

After a couple of days we decided to euthanize the poor crumpled little guy by putting him in a cup in the freezer.

We've been feeding the rest watermelon on a waxed-paper plate (which they love compared to the sugar water sprinkled on flowers) and now they are mating like crazy.

So here are my questions:

I'm assuming the two that failed were just due to random natural causes?

One thing Insect Lore suggested which seems unnatural was pinning the paper chrysalis holder to the lower SIDE of the butterfly habitat. Is taping it to the roof so they can hang fully upside down better for them?

I'm not sure what we should do with them now. They emerged between 2 - 3 days ago. I understand that if we release them, they probably won't find the right types of plants to feed on or for their caterpillars to feed on. Is this true?

If we decide to keep them, when will they lay their eggs and where? Do we need to put a particular plant in the pavilion for the butterflies to lay their eggs on and for the caterpillars to eat?

Thanks

Comments (4)

Sponsored