SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
den_vic

MG: Are you coping well with drought?

den_vic
14 years ago

I was away in Australia & Polynesia and came back to a very dry Victoria,BC. It was so muggy in Honolulu but I arrived here to very dry conditions. Many gardens are bone dry. Yucca aloifolia is doing well in the garden. So are the cacti. I prefer rigid yuccas over the common droopy Y. recurvifolia.

I noticed Lemon Bottlebrush in southern Australia. It reminded me of the nice tree on Salt Spring Island. I have not noticed this type of bottlebrush at nurseries in Victoria.

The tall palm tree that was moved last year is ok. One out of three 6 ft windmill palms need tlc. The soil from its old garden turned into a solid mass. Probably during the big heatwave in Jul.

I'll plant large rhodos once the palms provide enough shade. The plan is to have fall-winter, early spring, native and late season specimens. Other nice trees to mix with palms are camellias & Magnolia grandiflora "Victoria". The "Victoria" is more compact that the regular grandiflora. The Strawberry tree was a great idea as the deer do not eat the foliage. Photinia is ok because I can use city water when it gets too dry. We can also water everything but I do not maintain a lawn. Too much water required in our summers. California lilac looks good but it's messy come summer. I'll phase it out with Fatsia. The variegated Fatsia did ok during the heatwave in Jul which was a nice surprise. It defoliated at 36C a few years ago. Laurels are coming up better than weeds. They have ripe berries and are flowering in shade. The type in the garden has narrow, deep green leaves. The small fig tree has produced nice fruit for the first time. I'll use cutting to add that same type of fig to the garden. I noticed a nice kiwi vine up-island with a good crop. We started two cultivars, one of which is the local Victoria-area Saanich cultivar. I'll be looking at your website.

Cheers

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21