SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
monkeybelle

Thinking ahead...what do you do with your plants in the winter?

monkeybelle
12 years ago

I have been reading up on some of the perennials I have and am ending up confused. Some sources say that specific plants will die back over the winter in my zone, and come back in the spring, and some say these same plants will be killed outright.

I'm in southern NJ, so that is zone 6B. The plants I'm most interested in are:

lantana

small butterfly bush (kept in a pot, still tiny)

columbine

lavender

I have an uninsulated basement, which gets very cold, but not as cold as outside, and a crawlspace under the other half of the house that gets to be about the outside temperature, but is sheltered from snow/winds etc. So if I were to dig them up, I would have the option of putting them in either space. I'm planning on moving the lantana next spring anyhow (I didn't do *quite* enough research this year and didn't realize they were more shrublike than the pictures on the container lead me to believe!) And would like to find a permanent place for the butterfly bush.

So of all the options...leave them be and cut back in the spring and hope for the best, dig them up and put them in either basement space, what would you recommend? And what would be the best time to dig? Should I wait for the first frost or get them out before?

Thanks for any ideas!

-Sandy.

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!