SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
judy2_gw

Do you have as many insects and birds this year?

18 years ago

I've noticed, this summer that around my place (a farm) that we have far fewer ants (I usually run over several hills on the lawn everytime I mow, but there are none this year...I'm not complaining about that, but other years, there wasn't an area where they weren't crawling, they were that plentiful), I didn't see a single hornet until last week (no complaint there, either) when a few were trying to get into my house, I saw one dead bumble bee in the basement, which might have been there more than a year (the cute furry ones), I saw no lady bugs . We did however have an unbelivable number of black beetles until a few weeks ago...they were absolutely everywhere, in the house, in the pool, on me! We usually have lots of woodpeckers ratta-tat-tatting all summer long... and I heard that sound just a couple of times the past few months. We have had at least four owls, and now I hear just one. Other years, we've had at least two eagles soaring overhead as well as red tail hawks and falcons..this year there is one lone falcon. Even the usual high number of crows has dropped down to practically non-existant. The hummingbirds seemed to have packed up and left a couple of months earlier than usual but that could be due to the dry conditions. We use no insecticides nor pesticides on our farm , so what is happening? Has anyone else noticed changes like that?

Comments (2)