SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jfc31b

bees attacking swallowtails

jfc31
16 years ago

In the last 2 days I have witnessed something I have never seen before....bumblebees semmingly attacking yellow tiger swallowtail butteflies. Yesterday, I was at my garden, where I have many butterfly bushes, bee balm, etc. We've has lots of butterlies appearing in the past 2 weeks....mostly swallowtails and now some monarchs. From a distance, I saw a swallowtail flying up and down, close to the ground, landing, then rising up, fluttering, going back down to the ground. I went over to it and saw that a bumblebee was on the butterfly's body! I tried to cup my hands over the butterfly, and when I did, the bee flew off and the butterfly flew away. Today, the same scenario played out...except this time the butterfly did not fly away. He flopped around for a minute or two and then died. Has anyone ever heard of this type of behavior from bees before? I find this very upsetting. I go to the garden for enoyment and this type of interaction is not very peaceful or calming! Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments (3)

Sponsored