SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
docmom_mn_zone_5

I need advice re: low-growing plants for BF's

docmom_gw
15 years ago

I live on a corner lot with mostly shade. The sunniest area I have is the corner right along the road. I'm planning to convert a swath of lawn along the road into a flower bed for birds and butterflies. However, I don't want to cause a visibility hazard for cars using the corner, so I need plants that will not get too tall--certainly under three feet and ideally even shorter. I prefer natives that are drought tolerant, but I will intersperse those with annuals, herbs, and non-invasive foreign perennials. The area I'm hoping to convert is about 150' long and could be as wide as I'm willing to maintain. I am an avid wintersower and lasagna gardener, so I'm planning to begin bed preparation as soon as I can get organic matter/leaves, and start sprouts this winter for spring planting.

Anyone with suggestions? I'm in zone 5 in the Grand Rapids, MI area. My current list includes:

Asclepias Tuberosa (orange)

BES

Purple Coneflower

New England Aster (I have a low-growing must-be-hybrid)

Zinnias

Cosmos (orange 15")

Dotted mint

other mints

Scarlet sage

Wild Blue Lupine

Virginia Creeper

Thank-you in advance! P.S. I have 5 Monarch cats munching milkweed on my kitchen counter and I saw my first hummingbird on my Scarlet sage this morning! The summer started out slow, but things are definitely picking up.

Martha

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath