SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jrcagle

Questions about Butterfly Weed A. tuberosa

jrcagle
15 years ago

Hi all,

I have a "mature" stand of A. tuberosa planted 3 years ago that is now about 3'x3' and densely packed. Currently, it attracts many more milkweed bugs (3 colonies on seedpods) and tussock moths (multiple colonies) than it does Monarchs. In previous years, I would get multiple hits from Monarch mommas. This year, I found one mature cat and no others; and the Monarch I saw this morning bypassed the A. tuberosa and went for the young A. incarnata planted this spring.

Questions:

(1) Are the milkweed bugs, orange aphids, or tussock moths a problem? For example, I noticed that several spiders were lurking around a milkweed bug colony, so they strike me as an "attractive nuisance" at least.

(2) If so, are there recommended remedies? Will the "soapy water" treatment work for all of them?

(3) Should the A. tuberosa be thinned?

(4) I recently bought a good perennial book (Tracy DiSabato-Aust, "The Well-Tended Perennial Garden"). In it, she mentions that one should not collect A. tuberosa from the wild, the only such caution in the entire book. Why not? For the record, my seeds came from the store! :)

Thanks,

Jeff

Comments (4)

Sponsored