SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
christie_sw_mo

Butterflies' favorite zinnias this summer

christie_sw_mo
12 years ago

I grew Zowie Yellow Flame zinnias this year for the first time and I love them. They've been blooming great and the swallowtails are all over them. I can't remember who recommended them here, but Thanks! One of the plants has 12 flowers on it.

{{gwi:524645}}

I grew Scarlet Flame again this summer and it's as butterfly friendly as Zowie but not as many blooms per plant. A very close second place though:

{{gwi:524646}}

Violet Queen has plenty of those little yellow things too (somebody help me). It's another butterfly favorite. Great Spangled Frit on Violet Queen:

{{gwi:524647}}

Benary's Purple comes in last. It's pretty but some of the blooms are lacking in nectar for the butterflies (no yellow things)

{{gwi:524648}}

I also planted Exquisite Pink which I think is from the same series as Scarlet Flame. The bunnies, heat and drought were really rough on those. I planted sixty seeds, only 22 came up and of those, only five survived. They're in a area that's a little more incovenient to keep watered so neglect was mostly to blame. I finally have two flowers on those and saw a butterfly on one yesterday but it didn't pose for a picture.

I'm trying to save some seeds of Zowie and the others but the finches are getting to them way before they're ready. I'll have to cover them or something.

What are your butterfly favorites this year?

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions