SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
missmygardens

Monarch Cats Ate Seed Pod

MissMyGardens
15 years ago

I tried to search for confirmation that it's not outlandish or detrimental to the Monarch cats but couldn't find anything.

One or two Monarch cats ate 2 1/2 milkweed seed pods on outdoor plants! I thought they only ate the leaves.

The immature seed coverings are a lovely orange color...LOL. Luckily there are plenty more pods to plant seeds in the fall.

The 2 cats who were the culprits are now in their chrysalides. Amazing how the green chrysalis blends in with the milkweed foliage.

When I saw seed pods chewed open I thought it was the "pod eating bug" that was the subject of another thread in the last week or so. Further inspection uncovered the cats chomping away. I didn't interfere with their choice of food and move them to leaves since I thought they should know better than I what's safe to eat. Also thought they'd realize there were plenty of leaves all around them to eat. It was good enough for the first four instars!

Are they in any danger or OD'd on milkweed toxins?

Nothing I can do about 2 that have already chowed down on pods but if these 2 have harmed themselves in any way I might bring in the two 1st instar cats I see on milkweed so behavior doesn't repeat itself and risk losing them.

Thanks in advance for your experienced info.

Needless to say, I'm probably being overscrupulous again but Monarchs seem to be more vulnerable to disease and things so I just want to make sure about them eating the seed pods.

My little guy inside is now hanging from his tushie in a "J" and I'm watching him like a hawk so I can see every bit of chrysalis development possible. His antennae seem limp and he keeps bending his head into his "chest" so he's working at what he needs to do I guess!

Go, Bug!!!

Comments (7)

Sponsored