SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
irislover_nc

questions about screen-porch rearing

irislover_nc
15 years ago

So you all did it...I am totally sucked in. I have been growing 8 pots of A. incarnata 'Ice Ballet' from wintersown seed and a momma found them on August 18th. I now have 5 of the pots on my screen porch and they are supporting what seems like a gazillion cats. A great many of them are getting really big(guess is 4th instar) and I'm starting to worry.

What are they going to be looking for when they start looking to pupate? I have nothing in the pots but the plant. I am worried about the space between my deck boards if they set out on a big trip to find a branch or other surface to hang from.

Also, I am wondering what happens once they are all cozied up in their chrysalis. Do I need to move them to a smaller, covered container or should I do that now, while they are still growing?

Yikes...I know that was a lot of questions, but I have gone from happy momma to uncertain momma in like a millisecond and my real kids are banking on this working out for the "babies", as they call them.

THanks in advance for you help...don't want to disappoint the kids, either insect or human!

Meredith

Comments (2)

Sponsored