SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
molanic

Very Busy Butterfly Day, Need Help With IDs

molanic
13 years ago

I am pretty much a butterfly newbie...... if you don't count the almost 100 monarchs I've been raising this year :) Seriously, I don't know much about any other butterflies because the monarchs have been keeping me so busy that I wish they would keep their pants on and go south already :)

One day last week when I was outside I saw a new butterfly and ran to get my camera. While I stood in front of the butterfly bush I saw at least nine different species nearby in about a half hour period and was snapping away with my camera. I didn't even know what a skipper was a few weeks ago and now I am trying to tell them apart.

I have been using the website http://www.butterfliesandmoths.org/ with it narrowed down to just my county to try and id all these "new to me" butterflies. Some were not listed for my county. I don't know if I am wrong in my ids or if the website is just not that complete for my area and I should submit my "sightings" to them.

Here are pics of the three skippers that I am not sure what they are....or even if they are three different species. You can click on them to view bigger versions.
{{gwi:522584}}
{{gwi:522586}}
{{gwi:522588}}

Here are the ones I think I have correctly id, but are not listed for my county.
{{gwi:522590}}
Common Buckeye
{{gwi:522592}}
Ailanthus Webworm Moth
{{gwi:522594}}
Hummingbird Clearwing

This one I am pretty sure about as well, but those skippers are tricky.
{{gwi:522596}}
Peck's Skipper

There are some other ones that are being pretty camera shy, but I hope to get them some day. Those tiny pale blue ones are almost impossible to get. I have never even seen one up close, much less gotten a picture!

Comments (9)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor