SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dmikulich_gw

Newly Acquired Thirtysomething Jade Plant needs help!

dmikulich
10 years ago

We've had this plant for less than a week. Right off the bat I noticed a few ants coming out of the pot.

After a few days of setting up ant baits outside of the pot at the base, I noticed even more ants.

Last night my husband and I took it out of the pot. Hundreds of ants lurked in the soil present beneath the root ball. We removed as much of the ant infested soil as possible.

Also in the soil, we found an earthworm (!) and several roly-polys. The current soil did not seem jade appropriate to me. Besides the bugs, it was wet and I hadn't watered it at all. We removed about 6-8" of soil from the bottom and about 3" from the sides, but the root ball was pretty tight. I replaced the soil with a 50/50 mix of Cactus/Succulent soil and Perlite.

From what I've read the ants are likely there feeding off of some other pest on the plant. We took the jade outside for repotting and I've decided to leave it there until we figure out this pest problem. We dumped a large amount of ladybugs on it last night in hopes that it would eat any pests.

My plan is to permanently host the jade in my sunroom, but I don't want to bring it in until we see it is free of pests.

The jade is in semi-shade outside, should I put it in direct sun so soon after a new home, repot, pruning? It was in full sun before coming to me.

Am I doing this right? I'm worried for this beautiful plant.

Comments (15)