SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
imahousenewbie

How to/can I grow bougainvillea on top of this pergola?

imahousenewbie
12 years ago

We're installing a solar system on the top of our front patio, and in order to cover up the ugly tilted undersides, which will be visible from the street and ruin the pretty Spanish courtyard's look, we want to add a 18" tall lattice panel to the top (it will sit on top of the uppermost beam, and add 18" of height). What I'd really like to do is grow some brightly colored climbing flowers all across that lattice, especially something reddish-pink or orange. I really like the look of bougainvillea.

My question is, do you think that would be possible in this particular case? Here's a pic of the house as it is currently: {{gwi:530383}}
And a photoshopped version of what I HOPE to achieve:

{{gwi:530384}}
How long would it take to grow across, if I planted a bush on either side? What's the best way to achieve this look? Will strategically placed hanging baskets work, or do I need to grow it from the ground up? How would I go about starting?

Also, do you have any other suggestions for plants that might give a similar look, grow fast, and thrive well with little care? I'd appreciate it, I'm pretty lost when it comes to gardening, and I want to make it look good!

Comments (10)