SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tracey_nj6

Hmmmmm, Asclepias incarnata 'Ice Ballet'

tracey_nj6
14 years ago

After growing the pink swamp milkweed for years, I stumbled upon "Ice Ballet" last year, and bought both plants that the nursery had. I fell in love with the white flowers and the gorgeous foliage. This year, it again looks spectacular, and my pinks, look horrible. I only found one plant more plant this year but I'm harvesting lots of seed.

Now for my observation in question.

I haven't found one caterpillar or egg on this variety. Not even any holes that were probably kidnapped caterpillars. I've found lots of holes on my other milkweeds that had the telltale signs of monarch cat hatchlings. I had cut off all of my pods from the pinks and concentrated on seed from the white.

Does anyone else grow "Ice Ballet" that has caterpillar activity? I currently have 10 eggs that I'll eventually feed them that variety to see if they do indeed eat it. I know, I should've waited to see if the cats will eat it, but it's just driving me crazy!

Thanks,

Tracey

ps: I haven't fed any of my cats to date with this variety, because I tend to feed them the variety that I found the cats on, which is the pink incarnata...

Comments (6)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional