SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ticksmom419

I don't dig them up, but are the alive?

ticksmom419
18 years ago

Morning! In my zone, we don't have to dig up cannas to overwinter. But I grew them for the first time last summer and am trying to figure out how they'll show up again this year. 3 were planted in a bed, but only 2 have sprouted so far this year. The strange thing is that all 3 showed signs of life last month, during a strange heatwave, but then the sprouts shriveled and browned. Now the 2 that have leaves growing have sprouted in new locations from where the shriveled sprouts had been growing. And none of it is where the cannas grew last year! Do they develop a sort of dead center and grow from offshoots of the rhizome each year? So that they always move around? Or is something else going on?

I have another canna of the same variety as the first 3 that I planted in a large planter. I left it over the winter, too. But it has no signs of life. Our temps have been pretty warm. And I would have thought that they would wake earlier in a container than in the ground. Should I dig up the rhizome to see what's going on? (And isn't that the bummer about planting perennial items in a planter? You can't dig out something that dies without really hacking into the roots of the plants around it!)

Thanks for your help.

Karen

Comments (5)