SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ssahmed_gw

Is June/July a good time to be planting perennials and shrubs?

ssahmed
16 years ago

Hi there,

First off, I just want to thank all the contributors to this forum as well as the forum owners for this great resource! I've already had a few of my questions answered through this forum and have found the archives very useful.

Being a complete newbie gardener (just got started two weeks ago), I want to know if its OK to be planting perennials and shrubs this time of the summer. Already, things are starting to warm up here in Toronto (mid to high 20s) and I am wondering if the following plants that I have still sitting in their pots will survive and remain healthy until next year at the same time:

royal purple smokebush

summer snowflake (viburnum)

french lilac

dappled willow

bleeding hearts (dicentra formosa)

pink lilly of the valley

The above 6 were bought just this past weekend and I plan on getting them all planted by the end of the week. They are being watered everyday and being kept in the locations where I intend to plant them.

The only additional shrubs/plants that I have yet to buy are (only after the above 6 have been planted):

serviceberry

bowman's root

green and white euonymus

Please advise me if its OK to be planting all these in such warm weather, otherwise they will be going back to where they were bought from!

Also, what's the best time of day to be planting? I usually do this later on in the day after 6:30 or 7 in the evening.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Salman Ahmed

Comments (9)