SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susanlynne48

Monarch Cats on Calotropis gigantea!

susanlynne48
13 years ago

I wasn't sure whether this was going to actually support any larvae, but it does, which is great! I love, love, love this plant. True, I may never get seeds from it. All that I've read suggests that it is difficult to reach flowering stage. True, it is not hardy here, but then neither is Tropical or Oscar.

Not much is said or shown about the foliage, but to me it is quite striking. The leaves are spathe shaped, kind of like Common Milkweed, with the red veins typical of Common, but the leaves are much larger, and they are covered with a white down, which makes them appear heavily felted. My plant has not been damaged by weather, insects, wind, etc. So it holds up very well against these elements. The large leaves tend to kind of twist a bit, which makes them even more attractive IMO. It could be compared to some of the very nice foliage plants and be a real standout against them. So the foliage is very ornamental.

The tiny Monarch larvae appear almost white on the foliage of this plant, and maybe that is because of the felted leaves, and also because they are just eating the "felt" portion of the leaf right now. I'm sure that will change as they get older. We'll see. I'll try to get photos soon.

Also due to the heavily felted foliage, it is almost impossible to detect eggs. I can see why this plant would support a very large Monarch population. The leaf volume and density are much greater than on most milkweeds.

I highly recommend this plant. It is one plant that has really enjoyed the heat and humidity this summer.

Susan

Comments (33)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County