SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caterwallin

Turtlehead

caterwallin
16 years ago

I still don't know if Chelone lyonii is a host plant for sure for Baltimore Checkerspots since I have yet to see any at all. The local nursery only sells that C. lyonii and not the C. glabra, so I only bought one plant. Since I don't even know if I'll be able to get that butterfly here, I didn't want to go and buy a lot of plants that might not even be their host plant. I did find out, though, how I can start more of them. When I was planting it, I accidentally broke off a piece of it. I decided to stick it in some water to see if it would grow roots and woohoo, it did! I'm going to wait until it gets a few more and then pot it up. I guess it won't be too late if I plant it outside next month, as I don't think I want to bring it in the house for the winter. Has anyone else here ever had BC cats eat this kind of turtlehead? Even if I don't get any, I'm still keeping the plant; I think it gets pretty flowers.

On a side note, I really am leaning towards ripping out all of my Anise hyssop. All that goes to it are Cabbage Whites, bumble bees, Japanese beetles and some kind of orangish-brown and black beetle that reminds me of a lightning bug. I suppose it wouldn't be bad deadheading these plants if a person only had a few but I went and planted 30 of them. Arg! That's too many to deadhead. I wish I had known how many blooms they'd get. I have to agree with my husband that they aren't really what I'd call attractive. He said it reminds him of catnip, and we've seen how invasive that can be. I have that up near my milkweed patch, and I think I'll be ripping that out too because it's trying to take over the place. I can see the same thing will be happening with the A. hyssop. It seems like a big waste of time that I just planted it this year and am now thinking about ripping it out, but like hubby says, I think it will save a lot of time/work in the long run. The leaves might smell really good, but I wanted easy maintenance plants and I don't think that those are going to be that. I can't tell when to deadhead the plants. I didn't think any had gone to seed yet, but I see loads of tiny plants of them coming up already! I can imagine the mess I'll have with all of these plants and wishing I hadn't planted them. If only I knew someone who lives in my area who'd want them. I'd gladly give them away rather than just pull them out and pitch them. It seems like such a waste. I was wondering where I was going to plant my gas plants once I get them started, so now I think I've come up with a spot for them. So that's another good thing. There are just too many blooms on these plants that I don't feel it's practical to deadhead them, yet if a person doesn't, they'll soon have thousands of small plants coming up. I know some people said to wait and give them a chance to see if other butterflies will be attracted to them eventually, but I think I want them out very soon. I thought a perennial garden would be easy to maintain but from what I see with some plants, they are overly prolific. My purple coneflowers threw down pretty many seeds, but at least those aren't in the thousands. As a matter of fact, I planted more coneflowers from some of those that came up and gave some away to a friend. I'm even considering ripping out my butterfly weed because I think maybe that's what's killing my Monarch cats. Every one that died was a cat that I was feeding that kind of plant. The swamp milkweed and tropical milkweed cats didn't have man problems at all.

Cathy

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County