SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cattleya17

Im new what do i do?

cattleya17
16 years ago

hello i got a white brug about 5 month ago it is getting very large very quickly (which is what i like). so i live in new york and can they survive the winter? if not can i take cuttings and if i can take cuttings describe to me or post photos on how to do it please. also how long before it should bloom and what size pot should it be in? bye and thank you

Comment (1)

• karyn1
    16 years ago

Hi. Congrats on your new brug. They are like chips, you can't stop at just one. lol It can't survive your winter outside but they become dormant and are easily wintered over in a cool, dark/dim room as long as it stays above freezing. You cut back the branches/stem before bringing it in for the winter. All the branches that have been cut off can be rooted in water. Just put them in about 4 inches of water and keep them warm. I use an aquarium airstone in my rooting buckets. It's not necessary but it helps keep the water clean. If you don't aerate the water just make sure you change it often. They root pretty fast. You'll see little white nubs along the submerged portion of the stem. these are the beginning of roots. You can pot them up soon after you see the nubs have developed. The original plant will need very little water while dormant, maybe a cup a month. Next spring you'll bring the plant into a lighted, warm room and begin watering and feeding. It can go outside as soon as it's warm. If you don't want to bother wintering over the potted plant you can just grow the cuttings.
    Karyn