SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greylady_gardener

cannas are sprouting--help

greylady_gardener
16 years ago

Hello, I am hoping that someone is around that can help me know what to do with my canna that is sprouting.

I got this canna last summer and kept it in a pot for the summer. It didn't flower and In the fall, I stopped watering and then when it got cold enough for a frost, I brought it in. I left it in the pot and put it in a thick dark green bag (the light was blocked quite well) and put it on my basement window ledge behind the blind. It is quite cold there. The other day I thought that I would check it and it is growing! I really thought that I had let it dry enough, but apparently not. It has several shoots about 4-7" tall.

I have only overwintered canna tubers a couple of times and that was by digging them and storing them bare.

I thought that leaving them in the pot would be a good idea and had heard of it as a way to overwinter. The other ones that I brought in and left in pots are fine. I left them out, just sitting in the basement.

Any thoughts as to what I should do now would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Lois

Comments (2)

• Boca_Joe(zone 7b) southern Delaware
    16 years ago

hi Lois-

Don't worry! They do that all the time. Mine are doing the same thing.

Cut the straggly stalks back or snap them off. Once March or early April comes around, you can let them grow and gardually move them to more light/outside (once nights are above 45-50 or so)

Good luck!

Boca Joe

• greylady_gardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you Boca Joe! I do appreciate your help. I have cut off the shoots and will put the pot with the other ones that are behaving themselves.
    I had put this one in the bag on the windowsill where it would be dark and cool thinking that it would have the best conditions for survival. Lesson learned :-)

Lois