SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gwynne2006

Butterflies, Eggs, And Caterpillars

gwynne2006
16 years ago

Okay, maybe I shouldnt have pluralized everything. I see most of my butterflies at nurseries. I am not outside a lot during the day and my lunch hour is really my only time during the week to observe butterflies. In addition to raising them, I enjoy photographing them and photographing flowers, too. So a lot of lunch hours find me at one nursery on another.

I had been seeing a couple of butterflies I thought were red admirals at one nursery. I stopped at another nursery today and saw one and was able to get a picture and compared it to my book, so I am sure it is a red admiral. In fact, I saw two of them. I dont know how to tell the sexes apart, though. Now all I need is some false nettle! Well, enough to send away for some caterpillars.

When I got home, my big monarch castle was on the floor. I was expecting some BSTs to eclose this week so I figured I had some very eager BSTs or ny domestic cats saw them and knocked the cage over. Even though the first two caterpillars pupated within an hour of each other, only one eclosed today, a big girl who just wanted to be on her way, probably after spending the afternoon being terrorized by my cats. She was fine, the cats didnt hurt her, just knocked her mesh cage down, but I am sure she was frightened.

I was eating dinner on my balcony and I joked to my friend that I was going to look for some eggs on the parsley and rue. To my astonishment, I found a big egg on the rue. I am hoping it is a GST. I am sure it is a BST. As long as it is a healthy egg, that is all I care about, but just the possibility of a GST is exciting. I dont think I have ever seen one, at least not up close. Then when I was looking at the parsley, I found another baby caterpillar on the same plant I had found the egg on last week. Obviously, there were at least two eggs and I missed one. I also rescued either a third caterpillar or a piece of dirt. I should know it a day or so which it is.

I have no idea how much rue and passiflora (which I have growing) and false nettle (which I dont have) that I would need to have enough to order eggs from Shady Oak or Shady Brook Farms, I forget the name. I obviously want to order more than one or two caterpillars at a time! At the same time, I dont know how much they eat and wouldnt want to order too many caterpillars. I am afraid of not being able to grow food fast enough this season. I dont know when people start ordering these types of plants if they are not sold in nurseries in their area and they are starting from scratch. But I am having more fun now that I am finding caterpillars and eggs. It is so funny how I dont see any signs of butterflies but they have to be there at some point!

Comments (22)

Sponsored