SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rjlinva

Junie Lancaster a BAD candidate for Espalier?

rjlinva
14 years ago

Greetings. Last year I planted a Junie Lancaster in a situation that I hoped to espalier it up the side of garage. Now, I'm wondering whether this might not be a good camellia for this treatment.

Can someone advise me on Junie? Is there a really good recommendation for a camellia to espalier (zone 7). I would like it to be an early spring bloomer (winter). The spot gets some morning sun. The garage is white, so I want something other than white or pale.

Enable me.

Robert

Comments (5)

• User
    14 years ago

rjlinva,
    Junie Lancaster is a japonica.
    They aren't usually used as ideal espalier candidates.
    Not to say that you can't use it, but usually the smaller
    sasanqua camellia is used.
    You can find a sasanqua online that flowers when you want it to, depending on what color you want. Sasanquas also are more sun tolerant that japonicas.
    GOod Luck!

• rjlinva
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, butterfly4u...I was thinking that a sasanqua might be what I needed. Now...any suggestions for one that is brightly colored and tends to bloom December-January in this zone?

Robert

• nandina
    14 years ago

It is possible to espalier C. japonica against a wall. Perhaps your problem was in the shape of your plant selection. Did you choose one with a very straight, single trunk branched almost to the ground? Did you then remove all the backside branching and plant it tight to the wall? If so, give your Junie Lancaster a few years to develop. It should shape up.

• User
    14 years ago

Robert,
    Nandina is right. Why do you think it isn't working on the side of the garage? You seem to be unhappy with it so far.
    What do you have it growing on? A wood frame? The garage is white, is it cinderblock? wood?
    Prune it the way Nandina says and give it at least one more growing season to see what you think.
    You have a beautiful camellia there, just make sure you don't let it dry out in winter or summer. That will affect the way it grows for you.
    Good Luck!

• rjlinva
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I certainly appreciate your comments. The Junie Lancaster hasn't grown much at all yet. I am not "unhappy" with it, I just thought, if it was a bad candidate for this treatment, I would move it before it gets established. I have no trouble leaving it there!

Thanks so much.

Robert

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm
More Discussions