SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
socaldnm

Avocado Tree Trouble

socaldnm
16 years ago

Hi, I have attempted several times to grow an avocado tree. The 1st time I was able to get a seed to root and show a stem and leaves, I planted it in my back yard. Sadly, It died in about 2 weeks. So I had another go at it and did the toothpick thing in the seed and placed it over a cup of water. Once it grew some roots and a little stem, I put it in a big pot and planted it with some planting soil.

I kept it indoors and it grew pretty good. It got about 1 foot tall in about 3-4 months and had soem leaves on it. Well when winter hit it lost all of its leaves mostly and only had a few leaves on the top. Now im here in april and the tree hasnt changed much since. The trunk is still naked with no leaves and I dont really see any new growth. It has gotten a little taller and I can see the very top is fresh with new growth, but i'd figure where the trunk is naked it should be growing those back by now.

I also noticed that my leaves get dry sometimes. It only gets a little sun too. But I read someone that if you are getting dry leaves or some leaves become curled at the tips and are dry at the tips, it means its being underwatered. Im just not sure.

I really want this tree to do well and I want to some day plant it and see it get big.

I also read online about a few things and I get mixed answers. I read somewhere that trees started from seeds on your own wont ever grow avocados. I also heard that they might grow avocados, but take longer than other trees and the fruit that it bears might not even be edible. Then I also read that the plant will need to be pollinated or it wont grow fruits.

Also heard that you dont need this, that avocado trees pollinate themselves because they have male and female flowers. And there was a few other things I heard and right now Im confused. I dont know if I should buy another tree that is a fruit bearing tree, or just shine it on because it isnt needed. Also im a little confused about these "A" flowers and "B" flowers etc.

I live in southern California, and I plan to plant this tree when its about 6 feet tall. I feel the other tree I planted (1 foot at the time), died because of the summer heat. Anyone have the right facts and also some tips to help me here. Ive grown vegetables in my garden before and so has my mom. This is the only tree so far that I have attempted, and I just wanna see it do good. I really get fascinated watching plants and trees grow. Also does anyone have an accurate time of when an avocado tree will bear fruit? I have mixed answers about that as well. Thanks

Comment (1)