SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marymilkweed

Anyone in Central FL w/Milkweed & No Monarchs?

marymilkweed
15 years ago

Hi Everyone, Well, I posted to the Florida Gardening forum and so far no takers. I am a newbie to rearing butterflies and this past Spring in a Butterfly Gardening class I was misled to believing only a few eggs per plant were laid by Mother Monarch. But I guess when she is desperate, she will dump all her eggs on 4 milkweed plants. Needless to say, I can't plant new beds of Milkweed fast enough to accommodate the exploding population of Monarchs that I have. I need help now! After reading on this forum how few Monarch sightings there are in areas outside of Florida, I felt compelled to save the cats on my plants. I now have about 35 Chrysalises and a few cats still eating. My milkweed is depleted, mere stubs! I was hoping that some nearby butterfly lovers may have mature milkweed patches and no Monarch cats. I hate releasing these beautiful creatures into my neighborhood knowing there isn't a chance of them reproducing. I have about 10 days before most of them eclose. If I don't hear from any of the locals near the Orlando area, I will probably resort to releasing them near Garden Centers. Any suggestions are welcome! Of course, I have plans to plant out beds of Milkweed in the Fall, but it is too darn hot & humid here to do any planting now. Thanks for listening, Mary

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living