SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardenweb88

Erosion control options on big south slope

gardenweb88
11 years ago

I live in sunset zone 20 and have this huge south facing slope in my backyard that needs some erosion control. Years ago, we had some tall growing grass that the fire department asked us to significantly cut back every year since we let it grow wild. A regrettable decision was made to just remove all the grass rather than deal with frequent cuttings and regular visit from the LA fire department. What's remaining is some patchy grass and some shrubs that randomly sprouted. The soil is pretty dry and rocky.

The slop runs across the backyards of quite a few houses and all houses seem to be having erosion problems. Some neighbors have ice plants growing, but that hasn't helped much. The shifting soil, with ice plants attached, just swallowed up their chainlink fence and flattened the fence.

I've checked out the other posts on suggested plants for erosion control. And it seems wild lilac might be a good choice. Although, I'd have to wait until fall to plant as suggested by websites to let the winter rains help the plant take root.

Any thoughts?

Comments (35)