SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
davidrt28

any truly freeze-resistant camellia flowers?

It seems like when camellias are discussed as winter-blooming in the deep south, what they mean is that they will bloom during the typical mild winter weather in those areas. (highs in mid 50s, lows in upper 30s)
I may be wrong, but I don't think any of these standard, old-time varieties - mostly early Japonicas I guess, or hybrids thereof- can have their flowers survive a real freeze.

OTOH, at least a couple hardy shrubs have truly freeze resistant flowers: Erica X darleyensis I have seen with my own eyes still in full flower after 3F - yes, 3F - and don't even need warm weather in late fall to start blooming. Mahonia X media needs a couple warm spells in late Nov, early Dec to get it going, but once it is going, the open petals can survive at least 20F, maybe lower. Hamamelis x intermedia are freeze resistant but seem to need lengthening days to bloom, so are never going to start until the first signs of winter letting up in late February...the same applies to Prunus mume.

So, are there any 7a hardy camellias that could not only start opening flowers around here on at least the same terms as the Mahonia - a brief December mild spell being enough - and have the flowers survive a moderate re-freeze? Obviously this far north it might only be one out of five years that suit such a plant in terms of getting to make a floral show, but I could still find a place for it because camellias look great (to me) even when they are not blooming; and I'd like something to complement the other winter bloomers.

Comments (35)

Sponsored
More Discussions