SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bonniepunch

Fatalities - not too bad!

bonniepunch
16 years ago

I thought this would be a really bad year for losses - when the temperatures were at their coldest, my plants had no snow cover. So I figured I'd be bawling my eyes out right about now.

It seems I lost my Dicentra formosa this winter. It was a really nice big plant and I've had it for several years :-(. I also lost my Eryngium, but that's not bothering me so much - now I can justify getting one of those new really blue ones. The squirrels killed about half of my Sempervivums (including my beautiful red one - grrr...), and they also killed almost all of my brown Ajuga. Bloody beasts!!!

A couple of things have yet to show signs of life above ground, but when I popped the plants out of their pots, the roots look good - they're still waking up.

My new prizes from last year are all up and growing nicely. The Astilboides tabularis looks to have a couple of new big shoots emerging and my 'Brunette' Actaea/cimicifuga is obviously bigger.

And I found a very strange volunteer today. I have tried to overwinter lemon balm a good half a dozen times and never once have I succeeded. I didn't even try to protect my big pot of it this winter, and of course it died. So what do I see peeking out of a pot of Aquilegia? A toonie sized patch of lemon balm!

BP

Comments (12)